Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sookie Landar Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2012, 05:56 PM
    Fish Tank Problems
    I have a 55 gallon tank. Its been up and running for about a year and 7 months years now.
    But here lately I have been having some troubles with it. It keeps getting cloudy and my ammonia levels are high. I was told to add moss balls to my tank and do a 30% water change, so I did. I still keep losing fish, My tank is still cloudy and my ammonia levels are still high.

I have 2 AquaTechPower Filter 30-60, a 200 watt heater, and bubble wall.

Any advice to help me clear up my tank and lower the ammonia levels will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Aug 28, 2012, 06:29 PM
    Do you have too many fish?
    How is the PH level?
    Has anything changed recently?

This is a very informative page that should help you:
    About.com.
    Sookie Landar Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2012, 07:17 PM
    I have 6 Skirt Tetra, 4 Lamp Eye Tetra and 1 Plecostomus. About how many fish can I have in the 55 gallon. Do I have to many now? The PH levels are good. The only thing different I have done recently was added a cave from the pet store. Could that be my problem?
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Aug 28, 2012, 07:50 PM
    Well the first thing to trouble-shoot increasing/decreasing levels is to identify what has changed. Since you have recently put in something new, I would take it out.

Have you ruled out any diseases? How do the fish look once you take them out after dying?

I have a 45g Pentagon Corner with 3 New World Cichlids and 1 Pleco. I was always under the impression that 1" of fish per gallon of water was a safe rule. Not sure the sizes of yours but you have 12 in that tank.

Any mating pairs?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Aug 29, 2012, 06:32 PM
    Now wait... you added a cave recently... Did the problem start shortly after that?

I had a tank going real well for years and bought something, washed it off, and added it. A day later I was having problems with the water. I removed it and the problem cleared up. I soaked it in a bucket of water for a week then washed it off with clean hot water. It seemed to be good then.

Maybe try removing that cave and see how it goes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What Fish Would You recommend I Buy For My Cichlid Fish Tank? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 26 gallon cichlid fish tank. I am looking to buy more fish. So far I have 2 red blood parrot fish, 1 black knife fish, and 2 snails. I know I can't have many fish since cichlids are territorial, but what fish would you recommend to buy? Thanks!

I have a 20 gallon fish tank and my fish are dying [ 6 Answers ]

I got a fish tank and evrything was good and my fish were having fish, and I just added water to the fish tank and just 2 days ago I notes that every time that I check my fish tank there are a lot of fish dead I want to know why?

Nitrate problems with a new tank with lots of fish [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I am Szabadasz I recently have had trouble with my nitrate I checked it today along with my ph and iron It was high so I took out 25% of my water replaced it Add water conditioner then checked my nitrate fixed my iron and re positioned my plants After I checked my iron again and...

The # of fish a fish tank can hold. [ 3 Answers ]

The number of tropical fish that an aquarium can hold depends on the volume of the fish tank. The interior dimensions of the fish tank below are 28 cm, 49 cm, and 52 cm. Each fish requires 10,000 cubic centimeters of water. How many tropical fish will this fish tank hold?

Beta fish tank problems [ 4 Answers ]

We Have two make betas in one tank yes they are in different sides we also have two other betas in two other tanks the tank with the two betas is cloudy and smells like cat urine? THE other tanks are fine any ideas?? :confused:

View more questions Search