Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Taxnovice Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2007, 01:33 PM
    Worked with school and on contract while on F1 and also on H1 in last two months
    Hi,

I am going through this particular tax conundrum because of the complicated nature of my tax status last year. I worked on F1 with the school till May 2006. Thereafter I worked on a contract basis (have got 1099) from June to August 2006 without paying a single penny of tax. Thereafter I started working full time on O.P.T till October 2006 when my status got changed to H1 visa holder. To add more blood to the soup I studied in Boston and moved to NY for the contract work and full time job. Now I am confused what tax rates are applicable to me during these periods and also how to calculate my tax liability? Can anyone please enlighen me with the steps I need to follow to ensure proper filing of tax?

Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 8, 2007, 03:27 PM
    You need to file as a non-resident alien, filing Form 1040NR with a Schedule C to account for the Form 1099-MISC income.

The good news is that no self-employment income will be due.

The bad news is that, given that no income taxes were withheld, you likely OWE taxes on this return.

You will also need to file both NY and MA state tax returns.

Contact me at the email below if you need help filing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lived in NJ for 6 months and worked in NYC and then in PA [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I lived in NJ (no income in NJ) from Jan 2006 to June 2006 and worked in NYC during this period. I then moved to PA for the rest of the year. The year prior (in 2005) I lived in NJ and worked in NYC the entire year and I did not have to pay anything to NJ. But this year in 2006 when I do...

F1 on CPT worked in MA [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on F1-visa from india. I worked on CPT in Boston for 2 1/2 months. My wage is 8280 Federal held 1334.89 Ma state held 434.89 I study in NM and my wages for all the year including above one is 19,230.

Worked 6 Months In Ca And 5 Months In Ny [ 3 Answers ]

Can I file separately if I lived and worked in CA 6 months and moved to NY 6months and worked 5 months here? Is it better to file a certain way in this situation

Lived in NJ, worked in NY [ 5 Answers ]

Hi again ATE, I worked in a company in NY for 3 months on OPT (then moved to CA). But like many other people I was living in an apartment in NJ for 2 months (1 month in friends home). All my income was from my company in NY. Should I file for only NY state or for NJ state as well? ...

1099-MISC Spouse worked from home for 2 months [ 1 Answers ]

1. We are filing married jointly. 2. I have a regular job and get W2... no problem on that end:) 3. Spouse did consulting for a company for 2 months in year 2004 (wrote some computer Programs from home). She got a 1099-MISC from the company she conuslted for. The income is reported on ---...

View more questions Search