Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MervynMerv Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2012, 06:10 AM
    Gravity and planet spin question.
    I'm Intrested in finding out if e.g. Earths gravity is calculated with corrections relating to the spin rate of our planet or any other world. If so does this mean gravity would be less on the equator compared to a reading taken at the poles
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 28, 2012, 06:17 AM
    Yes, the value for 'g' does in fact vary with location on the earth's surface - not just due to the earth's rotation as you suggest but it also varies due to (a) the earth not being perfectly spherical, (b) your altitude - you weigh less at the top of a mountain than in Death Valley, and (c) the density of material in the ground nearby (iron ore is denser than water, for example).

All of these factors are quite small, but can be measured with sensitive enough instruments. In fact geologists use fluctuations in the 'g' to help map the location of certain ores.
    TechSupport Posts: 43, Reputation: 5

Oct 18, 2012, 06:20 AM
    Gravity has nothing to do with spin, just with mass. So if the Earth were perfectly flat and round, and made of the same material everywhere, then gravity would be exactly the same everywhere on its surface.

Since it's none of those things, it changes.

NASA has a satellite that shows what those changes are, and you can see the mission details at NASA - At 10, GRACE Continues Defying, and Defining, Gravity.

There's an iPhone app for this as well, called NASA Now, which shows the gravity maps, but you can see an example image here:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The tub on my kenmore elite he3 will not spin for the wash, rinse or spin cycle. [ 1 Answers ]

The tub on my kenmore elite HE3 will not spin for the wash, rinse or spin cycles. The motor is making the usual sounds like it's supposed to but the tub just does not budge.

Direct drive washer won't spin-rotate tube 4 inches and it will spin [ 1 Answers ]

I have a direct drive washer. Have checked the motor coupler. Replaced the clutch. When it gets to the spin cycle it won't spin. If you open the lid and rotate the tub counterclockwise about 4 inches then close the lid it will spin. What could be wrong?

Calculating gravity on planet surface? [ 2 Answers ]

I know that we normally treat the planet as a point source (take mass of planet, take distance from center of planet to surface, etc.) to determine the gravitational force an object on the surface will experience. It is also clear that this is simply a rough estimate that is more effective over...

View more questions Search