Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 28, 2012, 08:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynthiap12 View Post
    My pups is 10 days old sweetheart
    It should read "My pups ARE 10 days old," and don't call me sweetheart.

mr expert u knw when there first born they have to eat every two to 3 hours now as they begin to grow that changes there 8 pounds y would they b still eating every 2 hours they have to sleep to grow so now they can eat every 4 to 6 hours mayb the vet is wrong and u r right
    Since I birth babies for a living, and that's not much different than puppies, I know when I should and should not be feeding my puppies/babies.

It's important to be educated before you get yourself into a situation that is over your head, and apparently this is WAY over your head.

Please, I beg you, rehome this mother and her pups to a family that is responsible enough to take care of them and raise them properly.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2012, 08:25 AM
    My pups is 10 days old sweetheart mr expert u knw when there first born they have to eat every two to 3 hours now as they begin to grow that changes there 8 pounds y would they b still eating every 2 hours they have to sleep to grow so now they can eat every 4 to 6 hours mayb the vet is wrong and u r right

Your pups "is" 10 days old - the living ones, that is - and "by the second week they nurse about every three hours." http://www.petside.com/article/guide...eaning-puppies

Yes, your Vet is wrong and "we" are right.

Again - where is this? In the US?

I find it extremely amusing that you trust your Vet so little that you are on AMHD asking questions - and quoting the very Veterinarian you don't trust/believe!
    Expert

Aug 28, 2012, 08:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I find it extremely amusing that you trust your Vet so little that you are on AMHD asking questions - and quoting the very Veterinarian you don't trust/believe!
    And she goes to PetSmart asking advice from high school students who have been through a week of training.
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2012, 08:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    And she goes to PetSmart asking advice from high school students who have been through a week of training.

- and the training is in how to sell and scoop fish.
    Expert

Aug 28, 2012, 08:33 AM
    No my attuide says don't come at me like I did anything to harm them u have to make a mistake in order to learn the next time and my puppies do have the mother and father bloodline bluenose razor edge r maybe the vet don't knw wat they r talking bout
    To quote the comedian Bill White...

"Here's your sign!"
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2012, 08:37 AM
    To quote the comedian Bill White....

"Here's your sign!"

Yes, and some day we MUST discuss how/why I actually got thrown out of Petsmart. I think it's on one of my old answers.

Somewhere in the corporate office is my photo with a big red "X" drawn across it. I'm standing next to my (late, great) Andi - and there's an "X" across her face, too.
    Cynthiap12 Posts: 19, Reputation: -1

Aug 28, 2012, 08:52 AM
    Please - speak English, if you can. Yes, maybe the Vet doesn't know what he's talking about if you think the puppies will have the exact same bloodline as the mother.

At any rate, for your education - http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/breeding.htm:

" I am not even going to start hounding you about the millions of animals euthanized each year in shelters or that die on the streets. No one ever thinks this could happen to a litter they breed. I am going to tell you what makes a responsible breeder and the major effort that goes into ensuring the best, healthiest critters possible. Breeding is not just putting two cute dogs together and sixty-three days later you have cuddly pups. Responsible breeding requires work. It is not to be jumped into headfirst.

What a responsible breeder does:

Knows the breed standard. Each dog has a standard accepted by a kennel club that states what the ideal specimen of that breed should look like. It covers fur to teeth, color to structure. A dog not fitting the standard will not be considered for breeding. Also, they get out and show the dogs. Just because you think the dog may fit the standard does not mean it is a good breed representative. Only by having the dog evaluated many times can you truly get a feeling your dog is breeding material—this goes for males and females (what a dog show does as well as other competitions such as Schutzhund—I highly regard a dog who has achieved a SchIII—field trials, lure coursing, etc.). Even if a dog is top notch physically and meets the standard well, if it has temperament issues (shy, aggressive), it will not be bred. Many breeders also want to prove their dogs have brains to match the beauty. There are various sports that test a dog’s working ability. A dog should have both form and function.

Knows the pedigrees. Just because two dogs are great specimens does not mean they are compatible. Not all hereditary problems are a simple dominant/recessive gene thing. Some require a combination of multiple gene sequences before being expressed. So, two dogs could have parts of these sequences and if bred, the problem could be expressed though there is no sign in either dog’s background of the problem. Two great dogs also may not produce great puppies. A responsible breeder will research pedigrees and talk to other breeders to find the best possible matches. This can be a big undertaking. And just because a dog is winning all over the country does not mean he is the best. It may just mean he (or she) is being shown loads; chances are by a well-known handler, and everyone wants to breed to him (or get a pup from her). This dog may not be the best—just the most popular at the time. Do not be blinded by wins.

You also must know color inheritances. Some colors, like merles (blue or sable/red) should not be bred together. The merle gene, if doubled, can cause problems. Merle to merle breeding can be very bad.

Knows the dog. A responsible breeder will test dogs for things like hips, thyroid, eye problems (eye should be tested yearly on breeding stock) and whatever problems are common to your specific breed. If something is suspected, the dog is not bred. They also require testing for the dog they intend to breed with. There are also diseases such as brucellosis that can cause fetal abortion (miscarriage) in pregnant females—it is sexually transmitted—your dog must be clear of. Brucellosis does not always have outward symptoms, your dog could carry it and you’d never know. Your dog also must be current on all inoculations.

Accepts the risks. Breeding is not all happy. If you own a female, you must be willing to wait until she is physically mature to breed (about two years old). To breed too soon is like a teenage human having a child. They are not physically or emotionally ready. To breed too old is like a woman having her first child later in life. Males also must be at least two. You cannot get hips certified until they are two years old at least. Dogs of both genders must be fully mature and in top shape before breeding.

You must be willing to be in close contact with your vet from the moment of mating. There is so much that can happen and that you should know about. There are nutrition concerns—pregnancy and nursing are taxing on the female body. There are risk factors—some breeds are prone to birth complications and almost always require medical intervention. I remember hearing an English Bulldog breeder state 99.9% of all English Bulldogs litters are born by C-section due to the physiology of the breed. Even in a breed not prone to birth complications, they can arise and be costly! Many breeders will have their vet x-ray (radiograph) a pregnant female to get an idea of how many pups, their placement, etc. A big pup could get stuck in the birth canal. A retained pup (not born for some reason) can die and cause massive infection as it decays. A female may die during delivery. Are you willing to hand-rear a litter of pups? This is NOT easy and very tiring. What if your female has poor mothering instincts? Will you take over? Are you willing to accept that you could lose your dog and her puppies? What if one is born deformed or has a problem that shows up weeks down the road—then what? Are you willing to have you children see the miracle of death? I have only scratched the tip of the iceberg… "

I would also suspect that the people who buy "your" puppies are every bit as well educated in dog care as you are. It's called "Pits as Trophies," and it hurts the breed.
    Ok that was answers that I was looking for all what you just stated not for anyone to say I'm trying to harm my dog are puppies because that is what they were saying everybody have knowledge in some type of field as for me I am a register nurse so if you have a child and they had a fever of 103 and you just let them sit there and give them med but you didn't take all there clothes off to help the heat leave there body and rush and take them to the hospital but you ask for help should I come Down on you like your not a good parent and say you are trying to kill your child and you're a young parent you have no clue to know what you are doing I don't think so but I know they will be find cause they went to the vet
    Expert

Aug 28, 2012, 08:55 AM
    One more chance. STOP posting using text abbreviations if you want to continue to get help. If this continues one more post, this thread WILL be closed.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 28, 2012, 08:56 AM
    I am a register nurse
    You're a registered nurse and took the pups away from their mother? OMG! That makes this even more tragic than I had thought.
    Expert

Aug 28, 2012, 08:57 AM
    I am a register nurse
    I find that hard to believe. I am a registereD nurse as well.
    Expert

Aug 28, 2012, 08:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    You're a registered nurse and took the pups away from their mother? OMG! That makes this even more tragic than I had thought.
    Now I'm sending the t-shirt!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 28, 2012, 08:59 AM
    (I already have the t-shirt. How about a new clothes dryer? Mine is 41 years old.)
    Expert

Aug 28, 2012, 09:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    (I already have the t-shirt. How about a new clothes dryer? Mine is 41 years old.)
    You got it! New clothes dryer it is!

Aug 28, 2012, 09:04 AM
    - and the training is in how to sell and scoop fish.
    I didn't ask them for advise I ask them which milk would be better for the puppies but Like said petsmart don't have the answer and I didn't go to them for help I went them just to ask what kind of milk I should give to them
    Expert

Aug 28, 2012, 09:06 AM
    I didn't ask them for advise I ask them which milk would be better for the puppies
    Ummm, that's asking for advice.
    Expert

Aug 28, 2012, 09:08 AM
    Please, from one RN to another, I beg you to give this mother and her pups to someone who has the time and patience to rear them properly.

You are truly doing these babies a disservice by keeping them.

Aug 28, 2012, 09:09 AM
    Now I'm sending the t-shirt!
    in my field you suppose to care for the sick so if I felt since its my dog that is was being harmful yes I did take them away from her from having them all day and night I think any human being would do the same but hey when you are pet lovers you can't do that I think I'm going to give you're a t- shirt that's says no matter what your pet is doing don't take the puppies away keep them around even if it kills them I thought I was protecting not harming that's the only reason why I did that
    Expert

Aug 28, 2012, 09:11 AM
    Since you have refused to type in complete words and sentences, as asked on multiple occasions, I am now closing this thread.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2012, 09:41 PM
    As a registered nurse presumably working long shifts day or night then it's in the best interests of the puppies to rehome them.
    A full time working RN does not have time to care for a litter of puppies properly.

You have been told what you have done wrong with the puppies and instead of heeding advice seem to want to argue that you have done nothing wrong at all.

The puppies died because they were not kept warm... Puppies cannot regulate their own body temperature until 2 weeks of age.
    They were fed only 1/4 of what they should have been. As has been said, the feedings every 4 hours are given to puppies 8 WEEKS of age, not days.
    Young puppies cannot urinate or defecate themselves, this is why the mother will lick the puppies to stimulate them. When an orphaned pup is being cared for by a human you have to mimic the dams actions.
    Feeding the wrong milk... Puppy milk from a pet store is vastly different to formulated puppy milk from your vet. The store bought milk does have vitamins in it, but it is aimed at older puppies as a supplement, not nursing pups.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Why do dogs have so many pups? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, my ten year old asked the question... why do dogs have so many puppies. Of course she stumped us, so I am taking it upon myself to ask a professional. Thanks, Ms. Deme...

No pups [ 2 Answers ]

I have another question. I bred my Yorkie (2 years old) mid May. She should've been About 71/2 weeks now. The vet could not feel any pups. She had not been eating for awhile and had to be coaxed and treated. Tonight she ate regular kibble, and ate more Than ever. She started having very...

What do I feed my pups? [ 1 Answers ]

My chihuahua delivered her puppies very greatly although 1 died we still have two very healthy chihuahua pups. They are 3 weeks old about to be 4 on Tuesday. I visited this site saying I should give them mushy food for one meal a day. Does anyone know what type of mushy food to give them? Help...

Parvo And Well Pups [ 4 Answers ]

My 2 Cairn Terriers had litters of pups 2 days apart. At 6 weeks, (1st shots not given yet), out of 14 pups, 8 died from parvo. I had originally quarantined the sick ones, but as the days went by, more got sick very quickly. Two that had the virus have survived and seem to be thriving. The...

What ARE these pups? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, We've recently taken in two puppies that were dropped off on a friend's doorstep. I am wondering if anyone could tell me what the mix might be. These pictures are both of the girl (they look very similar.) I've had pit bull suggested, but we're really not sure. Is there any way to tell...

View more questions Search