Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SapphireRose Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2012, 10:38 PM
    Being Written up at Work for Minor Thing
    I'm 17 and started working at a restaurant as a hostess, and I'm currently training. The other day, my manager fired 1 of the 5 servers who were supposed to be working that very day. Also, since one of our appetizer chefs had quit the day before, we were short on apt. chefs. So, my manager ends up moving one of our part-timer chefs to appetizer while he took over the chef position. On that day, instead of having 5 servers, we had 4 (3 in the dining room and 1 in the bar area) and instead of 4 chefs, we had 3.

Well, one of the servers in the dining room--probably the best one we have--ended up getting sick, so she had to go home. Thus leaving the newbie and the older woman server in the dinning room. Because of this, one of our two bartenders--who is a server on some days--was asked to help out in the dinning room AND tend to the people in the bar. And it is also because of this that the other hostess and I had to bus tables and help serve/refill drinks while also doing our job (seat people, figure out when we could squeeze walk-ins in, and keep track of people who went into the bar and are waiting to go into the dining room).

In all of this chaos, we accidentally sat ONE EXTRA TABLE. I was in the bar busing tables, but when I came back, the other hostess told me the manager had came up and yelled at her for sitting the extra table. He also told her that he was going to write us up for it. This is the first time either of us have ever been written up.

I personally think this is unfair because:

1) This is the first mistake the other hostess and I ever made since we worked at the restaurant. We're good employees--we're the only ones who actually follow/do ALL our opening/closing duties (clean the windows, wash the counter and menus before leaving, etc.).

2) All this stress and extra duties placed upon the entire staff could have been avoided if my manager had called our other servers and chefs to see if anybody could come in since he knew--BEFORE WE EVEN OPENED--that we were short on staff.

3) My manager was in a bad mood to start the day with, plus there were people complaining about our new server because he was new and wasn't as fast as the other servers. The other hostess and I also felt that our manager was taking his anger out on us because he could (we were two of the four newest people at the restaurant, and we were the ones everyone yelled at/complain to because we are the hostesses)

4) Even though he knew we had sat an extra table, my manager remained at his table--after he finished cooking--and began chatting away with the table instead of going to cook at his next table--LIKE HE'S SUPPOSED TO.

5) Other hostesses had sat extra tables--on even busier nights--in the past, and nothing was done to them. We also have a policy at work where a person is automatically fired if they are scheduled to work and they don't call to inform us and/or don't show up at all--and there are servers who had done this in the past, yet my manager did nothing but give them a verbal warning.

Based upon all of this, I believe that it is unfair for my manager to write up the other hostess and me up--especially over something so minor. We made a mistake, we sat ONE extra table, and I own up to that. I just think my manager made the rash decision to write us up because of the stress of the night.

So, what is your opinion on the situation and do you think I should do? How should I handle this?

Thank you.
    ArmstrongMiller Posts: 164, Reputation: -1

Aug 26, 2012, 11:10 PM
    Though it is a long story... actually I finish reading it.
    You manager is much too emotional. And I'd like to know whether this is your best choice to work there...
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 27, 2012, 03:13 AM
    Managers can get fired too, especially when they lose too many employees by firing them or by them quitting.
    Keep this list and use it if you need to defend yourself to the owner. You don't say if this is a chain restaurant or not, nor how serious a write up is.
    Sometimes going to the manager as a group is a good way to handle grievances. If you feel confident that he is going too far (and are willing to take the risk), go with at least 2 other people and let him know that he could lose everyone.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 27, 2012, 03:23 AM
    Did you get wrote up or did the manager just threaten to write you up. Big difference, you are going to be yelled at, threatened and more all the time in this line of work.

Can the manager do it, of course he can,

Ever figure why so many people are quiting or being fired
    Amberlee Murray Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2013, 03:35 PM
    Trust me, I work in the restaurant business as well. I was actually written up today for the first time for something so minor and stupid. With me, I forgot to close the blinds, which is a new rule that my owner decided to make-up. Right in the middle of my rush today, my manager tells that she has to write me up from not closing the blinds last week. To tell you the truth, I flipped out. Right in the middle of rush, I was so angry and distracted that I couldn't even focus. I mean it's not like I left the toaster on, and burned the restaurant down.I feel that I'm being set-up, for termination. But, don't understand why? I'm loyal, always on time, trust worthy and my clients love me. I personally think it's personal. Always is!! Even though my manager said, "It's not personal" I know it is. I need to start looking for a new job, so do you. It sounds like we're both good hard working people, and don't know why this is happening. I'm considering it a blessing and praying that God will open the door for another job, where they can see me shine in there business. I pray that God will do the same for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Contractor doing work but won't provide written contract [ 1 Answers ]

I own a rental property in a different state that was damaged by flooding in the Spring. A construction company was hired and they started doing the repairs before providing us with a contract (they said they work from the insurance adjuster's worksheet). When we got their version of a contract it...

Is it right to be given 2 written warnings in 5 weeks over the same thing [ 3 Answers ]

About 5 weeks ago I was given a written warning from my district manager this warning was triggered by a mystery shopper who had been in the store whilst I was installing a new computer for the reigster which is not in my position guidelines. She stated the warning as bad leadership skills and said...

Help I'm getting written up at work all the time? [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I'm a 40 yr old male and I work for a company in the shipping and receiving department.As of now I'm 2 months shy of 2 yrs with the company.I feel I'm being weeded out because, of my age .I feel the company is looking for younger 18 yr olds to take my place cause,18 yr olds will move...

Written up at work? I'm so CONFUSED! [ 4 Answers ]

I am a server and my manager made a list of what tables all the servers had. I was with my friend and took the list down to look at it and forgot to put it back up. My manager was looking for it and I told him I took it down and gave it to him, he was ticked off, and I couldn't believe over...

Trying to work thing with your ex [ 7 Answers ]

Hey I was with this girl but we weren't together to long.It was for 2 and a half months but she was the first girl I ever took seriously. She said that she just lost her feelings for me and I understand that but I'm trying to get her to try and work this out I know that its not sure to happen but...

View more questions Search