Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    always_learning Posts: 54, Reputation: 2

Jan 4, 2005, 03:24 AM
    Placing Favorites in Alphabetical Order
    I am using Windows XP.

When I add new folders to my Favorites list, I find they are not placed in alphabetical order automatically.

Is there an easy way to correct this annoying problem?

Thanking you in advance.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2005, 04:38 AM
    Favorites
    Hi,
    Go to Start/Favorites.
    Right click anywhere in the window that opens up, then Left click on "Sort by Name".
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    always_learning Posts: 54, Reputation: 2

Jan 4, 2005, 11:35 AM
    Placing Favorites in Alphabetical Order
    Thanks fredg, it worked for me. Much appreciated.
    tlspam Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2011, 04:46 PM
    PC World Magazine offers the following link for a Windows Powertoy called TweakUI, which is short for Tweak User Interface. Windows Powertoys are created by Microsoft but they do not "officially" support them. TweakUI offers a long list of settings you can change that all relate to the Windows interface, AKA "what you see and get on your screen". Click on or copy this very long link to a new window in your browser:

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,2803-order,4-page,1/description.html?&src=sem&HBX_PK=pcw_01_DOWNLOADS-UTILITIES-TWEAK-UI-SRCH&utm_source=DOWNLOADS-UTILITIES-TWEAK-UI-SRCH&utm_medium=DOWNLOADS-UTILITIES-SRCH&utm_content=DOWNLOADS-SRCH&utm_campaign=Google-CPC

Microsoft, in their often misguided way of trying to dictate how they feel the world should work introduced something they called "intuitive file sorting" when they released Windows XP and it has applied to XP and all OS versions ever since (Vista and "7"). Installing the TweakUI powertoy allows you to turn off the intuitive file sorting that Microsoft designed to be the default method by which Windows sorts lists of files and folders in Windows Explorer. I, too, find "intuitive file sorting" more of a pointless obstruction to common sense and have it turned OFF using TweakUI.

After you go to the link I gave above download and install the TweakUI program. It will create a folder in your list of all programs called Powertoys for Windows. Open the program and on the left side of the TweakUI window there is a list of settings groups. Glance down the list and click on "Explorer". In the right-hand window scroll down to "Use intuitive filename sorting" and UN-check that option. Then just click on Apply and OK.

Open windows explorer. Your folder list on the left side should be sorted "literally". On the right side using List view or Detail view, ditto. Windows still sorts folders and files separately with folders above files, but they will be sorted literally as you seem to want, without using Microsoft's "intuitive" method.

Microsoft does offer an explanation of their "intuitive" file sorting here (though I still don't buy the need for wanting or using it): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319827

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Saving favorites from I.E. To disc [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Using Internet Explorer how can I save my favorites to a folder on my hardrive? Thanks, Darrel

Favorites [ 2 Answers ]

How can I place a short cut on the desktop for the Favorites list?

IE Favorites Pointing to Wrong Folder? [ 11 Answers ]

Hello. How can I change the folder that my Internet Explorer points to? Somehow it is now pointing to the c:\windows folder. And of course, I'd like it to point to c:\documents and settings\users\{username}\favorites. Thanks in advance.

Favorites [ 2 Answers ]

When I click on favorites, then add ,nothing appears in the folder. It does appear in favorites if a site has bookmark. I am lost.timber36.

My favorites folder [ 4 Answers ]

Every time I gain access to the internet (dialup) , 4 websites appear in my favorites folder. I've never accessed those websites but they appear every time I gain access to the web! Any ideas how I can prevent that from happening? Thanks for your help!!

View more questions Search