Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    herboren Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2012, 10:55 PM
    Central AC not working.
    So yeah this is completely my fault, but I was weed eating around the house today and didn't necessarily cut the wires in half, instead the red and white wire touched each other and the metal of the AC unit outside. Few sparks here and there and the Unit shutoff completely. I had read an article posted here, an old one in fact(2011 article) where some guys dog or cat chewed through the wires. He had the same problem as me just excluding the sparks. Now I tried checking for the fuses but the air-handler outside contains no fuses nor is there any in the Unit outside.

I took the cover off the unit outside to see if any wires were disconnected. Wires appear in tact. The red one has been capped with a larger yellow wire and the white one has also been capped with a second larger yellow wire. The green wire (the protective ground) this one is wrapped inside shrink tubing with the red and white wire, this green one doesn't seem like it was connected at all I can't even tell if it was connected prior to the weed eater.

So overall, no fuses, red and white wire in tact and nothing looks fried on the air-handler or the Unit panel, just the black burnt mark from the stripped plastic on the red and white wires.

Keep in mind I have also flipped the breaker to off. Here is also a URL of the same problem I am having as this guy, just not fuses in my central AC:

Dog Chews Through Wires
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 26, 2012, 12:08 AM
    stripped plastic on the red and white wires.
    Are you talking about the low volatge control wire (small) or the (larger) high voltage power wires?

Aug 26, 2012, 12:50 AM
    These red/green/white wire in this photo.
    Attached Images

stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Aug 26, 2012, 04:11 AM
    Shut the unit off at the disconnect and just splice them. That's the low-voltage control wiring.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2012, 06:17 AM
    After repairing the connection, Check for 24 volts out of transformer and transformer fuse(if installed)in the Air Handler. Work Carefully when testing Live wires.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2012, 06:29 AM
    Just reread, The Fuse and Transformer is in the inside air handler, follow the thermostat and compressor low voltage wires, they go to the relays/contactors and/or board, and transformer will be close by.

Aug 26, 2012, 10:33 AM
    There is nothing in the air handler . When I open the air handler there is a grey plastic panel that says, "Caution, contains no fuses". Another air handler in my garage says the same thing as well. I don't even know what a transformer looks like or where to even look for it. Do you have a sample image? That photo I sent you is not my photo. I only posted that photo cause the guy asked what color the wires were. My red and white wire are already attached and a green wire is not attached to anything.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 26, 2012, 12:45 PM
    I ask if you damage the larger high voltage wires or the smaller low voltage control wires? While it is unlikely that you would damage the larger high voltage wires with a line trimmer, it pays not to make assumptions.
    Apparently you damaged the low voltage control wires. Have you repaired the damaged wires?

Aug 26, 2012, 12:54 PM
    My dad is a journey man electrician. He showed me where the control panel was, it was inside the fan motor housing inside the garage. The wires were actually fine and everything was getting power as is, all except the thermostat, the thermostat wasn't getting any power. After removing the fan motor cover panel he showed me that the fuse had been blown, he turned the AC on with his multi-meter to show me that nothing was wrong with the AC unit or the wiring. It turned out to be a 5AMP blade fuse that was blown, $3 at autozone and the AC is up and running.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Central AC Blower Not Working [ 0 Answers ]

I have a Carrier furnace and central air conditioner system. Last winter I replaced the controller board with a ICM281 board. Heat works great. Now this summer we want to turn on the AC and we don't get any cold air in the house because the blower doesn't turn on. I have verified that the AC...

How do I get my central heating working again? [ 0 Answers ]

It is a Glowworm Betacom 30C, about 15 months old. The Pressure warning led is flashing and the pressure gauge reads about 0.3bar. Last night I bled some air from a radiator and assume that is the cause, although it was never a problem with the old system.

My central air is not working, [ 4 Answers ]

I have a york heating and cooling unit, it works great when it works. Why would the a/c not work? The fan outside the house runs but nothing is happening inside the house.. it doesn't kick in when I turn the thermostat to cool... I have no idea where to even start looking

Central AC not working properly [ 5 Answers ]

My central ac works for a 1 or 2 hours then fan on the exterior unit stops turning (motor still running) and shortly after hot air comes out of the vents. I will then shut it off, by turning off the thermostat for about 2 hours and it will work again for about 1 to 2 hours. Unfortunately for me,...

View more questions Search