Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    unluckydrvr Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2012, 06:12 AM
    Failed PE drug test, but have never used ANYTHING! What can I do?
    I received a phone call from the MRO at 5PM, Friday, that I tested positive for amphetamines and methamphetamines, but I have NEVER taken drugs! My 2 year old is ADHD, and I handle his meds, but the MRO says this would not affect results. How can this have happened and what can I do? I just finished driving school and this was my first application!
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2012, 06:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by unluckydrvr View Post
    I received a phone call from the MRO at 5PM, Friday, that I tested positive for amphetamines and methamphetamines, but I have NEVER taken drugs! My 2 year old is ADHD, and I handle his meds, but the MRO says this would not affect results. How can this have happened and what can I do? I just finished driving school and this was my first application!
    This was a pre-employment test? You mention MRO, was it a DOT test? Do you have a copy of the test reulst?

Aug 25, 2012, 06:22 AM
    Yes, pre-employment test for truck driving job. So yes, DOT
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2012, 06:34 AM
    In confirmation, you were offered a job and it was contingent on passing a drug test and DOT physical?

Will need to know the amount of AMP & METH measured in your system.

In the meantime you should notify the employer, the MRO and the testing laboratory by CERTIFIED MAIL, return receipt requested, that the test was in error, that you are not prescribed drugs nor do you take illegal drugs.

Do not go into lengthy details. Just put all 3 on notice that the test results were erroneous.

Aug 25, 2012, 06:42 AM
    Yes, job offer contingent upon test results and orientation. MRO did not tell me any test amounts detected, just that it was over the limit, nor do I know the testing laboratory. How do I get the split sample retested? Also, when I had my original test done, All the bottles were lined up on the counter, nothing was sealed. Was this right?
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2012, 07:04 AM
    Yes, job offer contingent upon test results and orientation. MRO did not tell me any test amounts detected, just that it was over the limit, nor do I know the testing laboratory. How do I get the split sample retested? Also, when I had my original test done, All the bottles were lined up on the counter, nothing was sealed. Was this right?
    You are getting ahead of the necessary steps. First step is to preserve your rights and alternatives. Call the company and ask for the name of the MRO and the testing lab. DO NOT mention your discussion with the MRO. DO NOT discuss the results with the employer or any representative > very important to preserve confidentiality of records. Simply request the information necessary to file the complaint as noted above.

DOT testing is strictly regulated and I can provide you with additional agencies that will look into the specific test but that must be accomplished in order.

Split sample. Request within the notice above that the laboratory preserve the sample for re-test. Prescribe that the current laboratory does not do the testing. Just preserve the sample.

Aug 25, 2012, 07:21 AM
    Thank you! I will begin working on this as soon as the office opens Monday AM. I am very frustrated that I completed the drug test on Monday, and did not get contacted until late Friday night. Does Saturday and Sunday count towards my 72 hours? There is no one I can call, either at the company office, or the facility where I took the test.
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2012, 07:49 AM
    Thank you! I will begin working on this as soon as the office opens Monday AM. I am very frustrated that I completed the drug test on Monday, and did not get contacted until late Friday night. Does Saturday and Sunday count towards my 72 hours? There is no one I can call, either at the company office, or the facility where I took the test.
    The facility where you took your test is the testing laboratory. The reason that an MRO is involved is, in part, to preserve the confidentiality of the testing process. At your position, post-offer, the test was probably part of a medical examination and therefore a medical record that must be maintained separate from personnel records. If you discuss this with personnel outside the chain of responsibility for medical information then you have voluntarily disclosed the information and it is no longer protected. Besides, collection personnel and even lab techs have little specific knowledge of the test that is being performed.

I realize the frustration you are experiencing but fortunately with the DOT testing you are guaranteed rights and procedures enforced by several federal agencies. Don't throw those away by getting ahead of yourself or disclosing information that could accrue to your detriment.

The 72 hours is interesting. Time certainly influences the integrity of sample and sample degradation doesn't recognize weekends. But that is a technical claim that must be addressed in another context. The same applies to sample integrity and proper handling at point of collection. DO NOT mention these issues in your discussions.

Here is the DOT website for further information on the practices and procedures of the federal statute, 49 CFR Part 40 that outlines the responsibilities of all the players, employers, MRO, collectors, etc.

DOT Testing

Aug 26, 2012, 04:06 AM
    Well, I can see problems already. Almost all of the collection steps were not followed for me, and the initial contact I had with the MRO was way less than satisfactory. My understanding was part of the MRO's job was to ensure I understood what was going on and what my options were. Not in this case! Wouldn't answer any of my questions, hence my desperate plea for help! I am working on the letter, and will be making phone calls as soon as the world wakes up Monday AM.
    hemp934 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2012, 05:06 PM
    Your 2 year old is on a stimulant? 2?

Sep 5, 2012, 05:18 AM
    Where do UA results go?
    Since I had a UA that came back as false positive, and I do not have a job, where do the results go? When I fill out a job application, do I have to answer that I have "failed" a UA test?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2012, 05:31 AM
    A false positive for what exactly?

Sep 5, 2012, 05:48 AM
    Supposedly for meth. I have never used anything. I took another test and it came back negative. But what happens to the other test results?
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2012, 07:06 AM
    Supposedly for meth. I have never used anything. I took another test and it came back negative. But what happens to the other test results?
    The most common cause for meth (amphetamine) positive is nasal inhalers.
    Was this brought to your attention by the MRO or inquired about?

How the results of a DOT test must be handled is laid out item by item in Title 49 CFR Part 40 - PROCEDURES FOR TRANSPORTATION WORKPLACE DRUG AND ALCOHOL TESTING PROGRAMS, (Effective October 1, 2010)

What is confusing me is the second test. Was the re-test requested by you or the employer? If you requested the second test was it authorized by the employer? How soon after the first test was the second test performed and was it the same lab performing same?

Sep 6, 2012, 08:13 AM
    The MRO never said anything about a nasal inhaler. He just asked about a couple of prescriptions, which I don't have, never have. He was real abrupt, almost rude, wouldn't answer any of my questions. I requested the split sample to be preserved for a re-test, the prospective employer ask for the split sample to be retested. I called the MRO's office and asked what had to be done, the receptionist didn't really know. I presume from my inquiry that they ran the re-test. I do not know where it was re-tested. I have not had any contact from the MRO on the split sample, however, I did receive a call from the prospective employer advising the split sample had come back positive as well. I don't actually know when the split sample was retested, but I received the call from the prospective employer yesterday. I am presuming the split sample was ran sometime after 8/27. I received the call on the first test on Friday, 825 at 4:30 pm edt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help I Failed My Last Drug Test [ 3 Answers ]

I was arrested 1 year ago for .5 grams of marijuana and paraphernalia. I was sentenced to 1 year probation, 6 months license suspension, 9 months of addictions classes, and around 4000 dollars in court costs and fines. I completed everything, paid everything, and passed my first 3 drug tests. My...

Failed Drug Test [ 0 Answers ]

How do I find out if I was put into the DISA System for a failed drug test?

Failed drug test [ 1 Answers ]

My husband took an at home urine druge test. He failed for cocaine and the only thing he does is drink energy drinks such as monster and nos. could those have caused his false positive on the test for cocaine?

Failed drug test- now what? [ 1 Answers ]

Hey- I got injured at work and had to take a drug test. I failed, but not with a very high percentage of HTC in my urine. I am disputing the test because I smoke recreational and its none of their business what I do with my time outside of my job. There are several alcoholics where I am employeed...

Failed drug test [ 5 Answers ]

On probation for DUI in FLA. Took drug test last week. Probably tested positive for cocaine. They used a panel test and made me wait, but said nothing of the results. Then, they told me to dump the remaining urine in toilet, throw the cup in garbage and leave. Would they revoke without...

View more questions Search