Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    melisto1234 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2012, 07:20 PM
    How do I petition the court over child custody without a lawyer?
    My 13 year old daughter lives with her father and step mother in a verbally abusive and mentally straining environment. Dhs has been notified about the abuse and some physical abuse but will not help due to the lack permanent damage mentally or marks left less than 48 hours. My daughters behavior reflects her situation I have been unable to get help when I have asked. She desperatley wants to live with her stepfather and I full time but I can't afford a lawyer and a battle.I can on the other hand provide for her better than her father. Is there a way for me to write a letter to a judge or someone on my own to to change custody. My daughter says she will write anything she needs to as well, we just don't know what to do or where to start.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2012, 07:25 PM
    If you are going to make accusations in court... you better be able to prove it, and not just by your own word or it will backfire on you.. . its an uphill battle and will be even harder without a lawyer.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 23, 2012, 03:33 AM
    You have to file a petition in court to modify the custody order. I suggest you go to a para legal to prepare the paperwork. A simple letter won't do anything you have to prove that the father is a danger and that you are a better choice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does anyone know a pro bono lawyer for divorce & child custody in Kankakee or Joliet [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for a pro bono attorney for my son who is currently unemployed and who is having difficulties with his wife. They have been separated for 2 + years and have 2 beautiful children ages 8 and 3. there are some extreme circumstances involved. He lives in kankakee, she lives in joliet and...

Does anyone know a lawyer willing to do pro bono work for an appeal on child custody? [ 9 Answers ]

I need help appealing a custody ruling in which my children ate being ordered to relocate almost 2 hours away from me. I have been pcp since the divorce. The court did not deem me unfit. They also did not take my work schedule into consideration and I will never see my kids if this takes place....

Summons for Child Custody, Child Support, and Payment of Lawyer Fees [ 2 Answers ]

I have been recently summoned to court about Child Custody and Child Support from my Girlfriends Lawyer. This hit me kind of out of the blue, we had been going through what I thought was a rough patch and when I got this in the Mail I was stunned. I would like to know the best way to respond. I...

In Nevada, at what age can a child petition the court? [ 3 Answers ]

The child in question is 7 years old and lives next door to me. His parents divoced shortly after he was born and they have joint custody. Until lately, he spent most of his life with his paternal grandmother. Now his father has a new girlfriend, who has a child of her own. Both his father...

Custody court date assigned, but not lawyer [ 14 Answers ]

My husband is currently seeking custody of his children in NY State and at the initial hearing, both parents asked for a continuation in order to seek counsel. My husband applied for a lawyer through the clerk's office and I assume his ex-wife did as well since she often makes reference to her...

View more questions Search