Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gkawlewski Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2012, 01:23 PM
    Left shoulder pain female 27
    After being awake for a couple hours this morning I developed a pain in my left shoulder. It has been constant for at least 6 hours. There is a stabbing pain every time I move, breath, bend or twist. I have taken ibuprofen and used a cold pack on it and the pain still hasn't let up. I have not done any strenuous physical activities. It was fine when I woke up and then it started hurting almost out of nowhere. What could be wrong? Do I need to see a doctor?
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2012, 01:43 PM
    Definitely see a doctor. You could have just slept on it wrong but there are serious things that should be immediately checked out such as potential heart attack or blood clot. There is also a condition called costochondritis (which I've likely misspelled) that can hurt like hell - I've had several bouts of it myself and had never heard of it before though it's apparently pretty common. It can cause chest pain, which in my case seemed to be radiating from my shoulder into my chest wall and felt like what you are generally describing. I didn't know what was going on when I had my first attack but thought I was going to die. It's, I guess, related to arthritis and it did resolve.

It sounds like you're in a lot of pain, so go to the emergency room or urgent care today. Sudden pain like that occurs without any knowledge of being injurred should always be checked out immediately. It's probably nothing serious, but always better safe than sorry.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 22, 2012, 02:50 PM
    It could be a pinched nerve (as well as heart problem). If the ER finds nothing, find a GOOD chiropractor.
    Also you don't want cold. Cold is for swelling only. You want moist heat, a pad with a washcloth, or a bath or shower. Gently move your neck and arm in the warm water to see if it lessens. It's possible that it will go away on it's own with all that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pain intermittent in left arm and under left shoulder blade [ 0 Answers ]

My left arm has been having intermittent pain from the shoulder to the wrist for about 24 hours and I did not fall or do anything to injure it and in the past hour I have noticed that I now have pain under my left shoulder blade as well. I have been under a tremendous amount of stress for the past...

Massive back pain on left side under myleft shoulder blade? [ 0 Answers ]

Back pain on left side under myleft shoulder blade? It hurts to lift my left arm, and it hurts to walk, this pain just came on, and it does not feel like a anything is pulled, this is sharp pain

Sharp pain on left shoulder blade [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone answer why I am having sharp pains on left shoulder blade.

Chronic left shoulder pain [ 2 Answers ]

I have been dealing with chronic upper shoulder pain for quite some time now. I have IBS with Constipation, and my shoulder pain flares up when my IBS flares up. The only thing that concerns me is that the pain in my shoulder never really goes away. It will subside, but I'll still feel it. My...

Pain on shoulder and lower left ab during jog [ 2 Answers ]

Every time I go jogging (basically every day), I get this sharp pain at the very tip of my shoulder and lower left abdomen. Is this normal? I have been jogging 6 miles every day for four weeks now.

View more questions Search