Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ladysbugs Posts: 17, Reputation: 0

Aug 22, 2012, 11:31 AM
    Changing price tags on a toy
    Had to go for doc appoint about 2 hour from home went to this store with daughter and grandson it was his 5 birthday he wanted this toy didst have a price so there were toys near it and I put a ticket on it I got other items toil went to pay when we were outside store the lady said get back in here and grab the toy at of my 5 year old grandson she put me in the office a d called the police I tried to explain said was sorry it was wrong she just wanted to the police they came gave me a summons for court I never been in trouble and to ill to handle this should I plea guilt or or not please the I should have ask but things were all over and even the items I have are expired date on them what should I do this is making me sick I'm a sick women as and this just got me sicker and my grandson was it right for her to rip the toy out if his hands
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 22, 2012, 12:33 PM
    Please clarify and punctuate your question.

Aug 22, 2012, 01:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    Please clarify and punctuate your question.
    Sorry it hard for Me to write what don't u understand Ty
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 22, 2012, 02:46 PM
    Of course she can rip the toy out of his hands. It wasn't his toy until you paid for it in full.
    You might just get a letter from the store saying you can pay legal fees instead of going to court. It depends on the store. It can be a lot, such as $500.
    Don't go on about your health and about expired items. Just say that you have no record, are very sorry, and are ill. Bring proof of your illness from a doctor. This is if this goes to court.

Aug 22, 2012, 04:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Of course she can rip the toy out of his hands. It wasn't his toy til you paid for it in full.
    You might just get a letter from the store saying you can pay legal fees instead of going to court. It depends on the store. It can be a lot, such as $500.
    Don't go on about your health and about expired items. Just say that you have no record, are very sorry, and are ill. Bring proof of your illness from a doctor. This is if this goes to court.
    Well I have a court date it really wad a miss understanding she didn't want to hear anything just that she goes to court date all time the wax the lady of that toy and there were tags on floor I didn't want to pick up so I just put one on from the toys around it I tried and tried to say sorry all she did was wIred for police and hands me tissue I'm really sick on lots of med and just wasn't thinking never did I ever do anything like this I'm a people helper she wouldn't her anything I had to say and then usually red when they right up the bar code throw out the price it wad my dump mistake I just wish she had a heart and settle this with out police over a 10 dollar item that store is over 2 hours from me is hard enough to get to doc every 3 months I don't know if I should just say guilty or not I I'm too ill to keep running back if I day guilty what will be if I say not what would be if only she had a heart and listen to me
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 22, 2012, 05:01 PM
    What misunderstanding, instead of asking how much it was, you took a tag from another toy, that is a crime.

You just can't admit you did a illegal thing, I see no remorse, just anger for getting caught.

And you will have to go back to court even if you plead guilty, and may have community service to do, will have probation officer to report to. So your running back and forth has just started

Aug 22, 2012, 06:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    What misunderstanding, instead of asking how much it was, you took a tag from another toy, that is a crime.

You just can't admit you did a illegal thing, I see no remorse, just anger for getting caught.

And you will have to go back to court even if you plead guilty, and may have community service to do, will have probation officer to report to. So your running back and forth has just started
    No I'm not angry and I'm am sorry its been a lon day and I'm.y mind wasn't tbimkimg didn't think it was wrong cause there were all around the same and I couldn't be more sorry 45 years I never did anything like that this is killimg me inside can't eat sleep just plain upset all I wanted was forgiveness and all ahem did was laugh in my face over a 10 item and I know In my heart I'm sorry and wished that lady would have had same feeling you donto know me this could put my Beth real bad its eating me up it was a mistake believe it or not
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2012, 01:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ladysbugs View Post
    No I'm not angry and I'm am sorry its been a lon day and im.y mind wasn't tbimkimg didn't think it was wrong cause there were all around the same and I couldn't be more sorry 45 years I never did anything like that this is killimg me inside can't eat sleep just plain upset all I wanted was forgiveness and all ahem did was laugh in my face over a 10 item and I know In my heart I'm sorry and wished that lady would of had same feeling you donto know me this could put my Beth real bad its eating me up it was a mistake belive it or not

- It's still a crime, same as shoplifting. You stole the difference between the actual sale price and what you paid.

Aug 27, 2012, 12:19 PM
    I just can't deal with this as sick as I am does anyone know a lawyer who does promo I did talk to a lawyer who said around 1000 to take the case I just can't its been a big misunderstanding believe it or not maybe I explain it wrong there were nothing on box box was worn a d all the toys were same price I took one off I wasn't getting g on the floor to look there were a few how ever anyone see it I'm sorry o never did nor would it was a day 2 hour drive took my med felt sick grandson birthday I'm feeling so sick haven't eat anything in days just don't know what to do I tried with the lady all she keep saying I prosecute all she was so cold I feel sad for her to cold any one know what to or expect
    Thank you
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2012, 12:26 PM
    I just can't deal with this as sick as I am does anyone know a lawyer who does promo I did talk to a lawyer who said around 1000 to take the case I just can't its been a big misunderstanding believe it or not maybe I explain it wrong there were nothing on box box was worn a d all the toys were same price I took one off I wasn't gettin g on the floor to look there were a few how ever anyone see it I'm sorry o never did nor would it was a day 2 hour drive took my med felt sick grandson birthday I'm feeling so sick haven't eat anything in days just don't know what to do I tried with the lady all she keep saying I prosecute all she was so cold I feel sad for her to cold any one know what to or expect
    thank you

It's pro bono (which pretty much means without charge) and not promo. The only way to know is to call your County's (legal) Bar Association.

You can defend what you did and why you did it forever, and it's not going to change anything. I don't even understand the question about how anyone saw you switched the tags. I'm guessing you didn't do it openly. But none of that matters.

You were legally shoplifting. What have I done when I've picked out something with no price (mostly clothing)? I've gone to the checkout or register and said, "I'd like this but it has no tags. I think this is the same thing" and handed both the tagged and untagged items to the cashier.

No one here can tell you anything else - I see a lot of excuses and not a lot of heartfelt apologies.

This is in the Court system. Do I think you'll go to jail, no? Do I think you'll get a heavy fine? Probably not. Do I think you'll get a lecture and a fine? Yes. I just don't know what that will be.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 31, 2012, 03:49 PM
    It's obvious that you're sorry that you did it, but sorry after the fact really doesn't amount too much. You knowingly broke the law, you got caught, and now you're suddenly sorry. The price of the item doesn't matter, stealing is stealing, and that's what you did.

You had options. You could have taken the item to the register and asked that they do a price check on it. You didn't. You decided to make up the price of the item by putting a different tag on it. That's stealing. I really don't think you understand that what you did is wrong. You're more upset that you got caught and now you're inconvenienced.

Fact is, this is now a legal issue, and you'll have to deal with it. The clerk didn't have to show a heart and let you get away with stealing. You did the crime, now face it. Get a lawyer, call around to see if you qualify for legal aide, and deal with this. It isn't going to go away just because you don't want to be responsible for it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 31, 2012, 04:14 PM
    Agree with Judy, you will not go to jail, you will not be fined 1000's of dollars,

Will you get probation, most likely a 300 to 500 dollar fine yes, will you be ordered to do community service ? Maybe.

Aug 31, 2012, 08:56 PM
    It wasn't like that I never stole anything I give not steal the tags were all same even at the reg the guy read all the item out lound by price the amounts if there was something wrong he could have Said this is not right price like I said I know it wasn't my intention by no means and no matter how sorry I Am and tried to tell manager all she keep saying I prosecute she could have said something by the counter as for what she done to a little kid karma comes around and I know in my heart it was something that was misunderstood
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2012, 05:25 AM
    It wasn't like that I never stole anything I give not steal the tags were all same even at the reg the guy read all the item out lound by price the amounts if there was something wrong he could of Said this is not right price like I said I know it wasn't my intention by no means and no matter how sorry I Am and tried to tell manager all she keep saying I prosecute she could of said something by the counter as for what she done to a little kid karma comes around and I know in my heart it was something that was misunderstood

So you think somehow something is going to happen to the store employee because YOU were stealing and the manager did her job? You know in your heart it was misunderstood? I know in my heart that stealing is against the law.

I'd worry less about karma and the manager and more about karma and you.

You truly are ridiculous and very much out of line - use any of this in Court and I guarantee you'll find yourself on probation or doing community service.

Sep 1, 2012, 06:28 AM
    My heart is free I know it my
    I did not do it to steal it was not done to steal don't judge me u don't know me

I did not steal and by all means on purpose every body can think what they want and yee I do beliver in karma comes I just don't know why ithard to see I sorry for what misunderstand
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2012, 06:35 AM
    My heart is free I know it my
    I did not do it to steal it was not done to steal don't judge me u don't know me

I did not steal and by all means on purpose every body can think what they want and yee I do beliver in karma comes I just don't know why ithard to see I sorry for what misunderstand

No one steals accidentally. Sorry.

I am "judging you" based on what YOU posted. The store employeees didn't believe you, and they certainly saw you face-to-face.

Yes, I hope in your case your belief in karma is justified.

Keep up your attitude and you are going to have big problems in Court. What, incidentally, was the price of the toy you purchased and the price of the toy you took the price tag from?

How much dollar difference?

In MY area you are given the opportunity to pay the difference, plus store costs, then banned from the store.

Sep 1, 2012, 10:42 AM
    Their were nothing g on the box the box seen better days and all the toys a lot had no tag and which did said which a few had double tags there were 3.99 5.99 the tag on the toy had both when the man at counter read out priced he said 3,99 they didn't scan the just said price put it in
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 1, 2012, 10:55 AM
    ladysbugs, if you talk this way at court (if it even goes to court, which it might not) you will get the book thrown at you. You use every excuse and rationalization there is, and even think that the store had no right to 'rip the toy out of his hands.' The judge will be totally fed up with you in about 1 minute, and they only allow about 2-3 minutes for each case. It won't be a TV show with testimony and character witnesses!
    Your last answer about price is gibberish. You didn't actually answer what the tag said vs what they said it was. You are saying you put a 3.99 tag on a 5.99 toy? I find that difficult to believe...

Sep 1, 2012, 11:04 AM
    As you say the lady saw face to face if g-d was sitting there she do the same think all she cared about how many people lives she can mess s up believe me there are people who should get for stealing like she said I just came from court when people whotalk I listen to with her it was one side her side o just don't u understand if the price was wrong why not say it at counter cause she wanted me to walk out so she can do her day thing people should judge cause I'm sure your closet has a few webs in it .I never judge anyone there are two sides to ever story I know it was not intent to do that

Day was mess from morning was 2 hour drI've to doc plus took my meds wrong .no excuse allow here no mistake just Blame and judging
    Sad world
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2012, 11:11 AM
    ... if the price was wrong why not say it at counter cause she wanted me to walk out so she can do her day thing people should judge cause I'm sure your closet has a few webs in it .I never judge anyone there are two sides to ever story I know it was not intent to do that

day was mess from morning was 2 hour drI've to doc plus took my meds wrong .no excuse allow here no mistake just Blame and judging
    Sad world

Excuse me? I'm not the person posting her legal problems on a public site, arguing with the advice, and no, I don't have any "webs in my closet." I have a professional license which required a background check and NO criminal history in the event you are implying that I am some sort of thief. No, unlike you, I am not.

Like it or not you are admittedly a petty thief giving a very poor example to your Grandchild.

I suspect it's not the first time you've switched price tags. If it were we wouldn't be hearing so many excuses.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Larceny for changing price tags can I still be an officer in nc [ 5 Answers ]

I'm only 19 and want to become a police Officer but I have a misdemeanor for larceny for changing price tags My question is can I still become a police officer even though I got charged with it here in n.c

Changing price tag in store is crime? [ 7 Answers ]

I'm changing a price tag from $35 to $3. Please tell me what punishments should she expect.

View more questions Search