Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lindalogsdon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2012, 08:03 AM
    Prescription insurance fraud
    If a resident in a long term care facility has a medication reordered through the nurses at the facility and his Med D insurance plan denies the refill electronically as a refill too soon to the long term care pharmacy... is it breaking a law or committing insurance fraud if the med is sent out today and is not payable till tomorrow or the next and the dispense date is changed to the date the insurance will pay the claim? Essentially, the long term care pharmacy is sending the med out "no charge" until a day or two later when it would be payable by the plan. Of course, billing for a med today and then NOT dispensing it until tomorrow definitely falls into the fraud category. Medicare D insurance has a narrow window of when a claim is payable which in the LTC setting, can make the drug supply at the facility run too short. If a patient spits a pill out or one is dropped, the med may have to be dispensed a day or two before the insurance says it is payable again.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 22, 2012, 08:16 AM
    No it is not fraud, but the medicare may not pay for it, and the patient could be liable to pay the full cost of medicare refuses it.

It is the drug company that is actually breaking the law, sending it out without proper authorization of payment, they are they ones who will bill as it is shipped out latter, so they are lying when they submit for payment.

The patient has no issue here.

*** this is a common practice, a lot of medical equipment is given out, or shipped prior to approval. Most equipment like wheel chairs, electric wheel chairs, canes and more are all done the same way, the patent gets them, they wait for approval and then bill like they just gave them to the patient,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Insurance Fraud/Advance commission fraud [ 10 Answers ]

I'm sure this post with be confusing to some of you but any advice would be greatly appreciated. I was hired back in October of 2005 as an independent contractor selling life insurance policies. One of my clients that I sold a policy to mentioned that she had a few family members that were...

Prescription fraud [ 6 Answers ]

Is it illegal/ fraudulent to obtain a prescrition for allergy medicine and then cut the dose in half and give it to your child to avoid a second Dr. visit and prescrition cost?

Prescription insurance fraud [ 3 Answers ]

A drug is available in 8 mg and 16 mg sizes, and the 16 is scored for cutting in half. The price for 90 day supply for the 8mg is $154.84 and for the 16mg is $154.97, or only $.13 more. If you need to take 8mg daily, and order the 16mg and cut them in half, you effectively cut your costs in...

Is this insurance fraud? [ 15 Answers ]

Someone I know has Progressive Car Insurance and she lied to them by saying that her and her husband were separated and about to get a divorce, so her insurance is cheaper because her husband has no drivers license and isn't insured on the car.. is this insurance fraud because her husband really...

Is it Insurance Fraud? [ 6 Answers ]

So, here is the deal. I am covered under my boyfriend's insurance. We broke up tonight, he is moving out on Monday. I have a doctor's appointment on Friday. If I were to still use the insurance when we are not actually together, is this insurance fraud?

View more questions Search