Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Zok Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2012, 01:53 PM
    Large Mosquito?
    Well, I've asked this question of an entomologist on another site but the person I asked wasn't convinced that this is a mosquito of the Culicidae Psorophora family because of it's size and I'm not convinced that it's a crane fly. To me it seems that it is a mosquito because of it's proboscis and from what I've read and after comparing pictures with how this mosquito looks and the fact that we've had heavy rain lately and a couple flash flood scares. I think it may be Culicidae Psorophora Ferox but I'm not entirely sure. I was worried initially because of it's size and the fact that I had never seen a mosquito like it. I was worried that it might be carrying something. After having read some I've become more worried and inclined to not let it go. From what I've read they're known to carry some kind of arbovirus or something. I'm not entirely sure.

Here is the mosquito I have: http://i.imgur.com/tNAWh.jpg

Here is the mosquito I think it is: http://www.pbase.com/tmurray74/image/33422314

And here's where I've read stuff about the mosquito I think it is: http://wrbu.si.edu/generapages/psorophora.htm
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 21, 2012, 03:08 PM
    ANY mosquito 'carries something' like west nile virus, how devastating can that be?? ;it doesn't have to be a large one. Use a lot of bug spray.

People die from west nile virus for heavens sake, and that comes from a very small mosquito.

Okay I looked at your pics, that is a dragon fly.
    gnahcd Posts: 215, Reputation: 39

Sep 22, 2012, 05:01 PM
    A "dragonfly" is a member of the Order Odonata. THAT IS NOT A DRAGONFLY.

It does look like a mosquito. Identification to species level is the purview of an expert. You might be able to get a species ID from your local vector (mosquito) control district, environmental health dept, or agriculture dept.

"Letting it go" will not really have any impact on the prevalence of disease in your area.

Culicidae is the family of mosquitoes. Psorophora is a genus name of some mosquitoes. There are other genera of mosquitoes, like Anopheles and Culex. Many mosquito species are carriers of devastating diseases.
    gnahcd Posts: 215, Reputation: 39

Oct 3, 2012, 04:59 PM
    I took another look at your mosquito picture. That is a big mosquito. I searched "large mosquito" and found this interesting website: Gallinipper mosquitoes are here

... would hate it if they nipped my galli.

Crane flies do not have the piercing mouthparts that your picture shows.

Also, found this website about elephant mosquitoes (Toxorhynchites sp.) This looks very much like what you have.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Mosquito bites:( [ 9 Answers ]

How long do mosquito bites take to go away, and or, how can I make them go away more quick? I've got very very big mosquito bites(dime size) is that normal?

Mosquito bites [ 8 Answers ]

I have a very important function tomorrow night and I have A lot of mosquito bites over my legs. I have planned to wear a short dress, so is there anything that can get rid of the redness of the mosquito bites or get rid of them quickly? Any answers would be greatly apreciated! :)

Mosquito in a car ? [ 2 Answers ]

OK... this question does not have a specific topic... anyway... Why is it that if a mosquito or a fly in a moving vehicle or elevator always stay in the enclosed space, suspended in the air and do not collide with the walls enclosing it?? :confused: Well maybe I'm really dumb :p

Mosquito Magnet [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! Does anyone own a Mosquito Magnet and is it worth it? I have a 5 acres lot and my backyard is a plantation of pine trees. So yes there is a lot of mosquitos my family loves the outdoor but we are invaded by mosquitos so we keep ourselves indoors. Any suggestions Thanks in advance.

View more questions Search