Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ashtev Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2007, 12:51 AM
    Confusion over nyc issued 1099 Misc form, NJ issued W2, and state taxes
    Hi everyone,

I am a canadian citizen and a non resident alien, graduate student in NJ. I reside in NJ and worked as an independent contractor in NYC over last summer. Since I worked on campus for a few months lst year, I was issued a W2 form for $732 in the state of NJ. I also worked as an independent contractor in NYC over the summer and was issued a 1099-Misc for $8904 for my work. I found this site very useful and I gathered from it that I have to file taxes in NJ since I reside there and non resident taxes in NY since I worked there ( IT 203). My question is, while filing my NY taxes, do I have to declare only what I earned in NYC ( the amount under box 7 on my 1099-Misc) or do I have to also declare the amount that I earned at my on campus job in NJ? By mistake I already e-filed my resident NJ taxes. Will that create a problem?

Thanks a lot!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 8, 2007, 12:30 PM
    Claim ONLY the NYC income when you file the NY state tax return.

Since you are a foreign university student, you can file as a non-resident for NJ as well, thus avoiding paying NJ taxes on the NYC income.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are warrants issued listed online? [ 3 Answers ]

I need to know if a warrant is being issued for me in franklin co. cols,Ohio? How do I find out about this?:confused:

1099-Misc Form [ 1 Answers ]

What does Box 18 of the 1099-Misc form mean. Can you place income in that box if the state in which it is being sent does not have a state income tax? I am currently at work so you can email me at [email protected] Thanks for your help! Susan Glidden

VERY confusing tax situation, 1099-MISC confusion, W-2's, etc [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, to start: I never paid my 2005 taxes. Why you ask? I don't have an excuse. It was the first year I had a W-2 AND a 1099-MISC form and the confusion with trying to work out deductions... I just gave up. Situation from 2005 is, I have no idea where my 1099 is from that year and the accountant...

Law, Warning issued by officers [ 2 Answers ]

Does a warning for speeding issued by a police officer go on my record and if so for how long does it stay on there? I live in Iowa.

View more questions Search