Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kktobias Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2005, 03:19 PM
    Spyware/adware on dell wireless laptop?
    I have win xp pro. My son bought a dell inspiron 1150 laptop (wireless). We hooked up the router to my desktop and cable modem. My question is, if my son gets spyware/adware on his computer, will that spyware/adware go on my desktop since we are hooked up to my cable modem? This might sound like a stupid question but my kid knew I downloaded service pack 2 on my desktop and it also got installed on his laptop?
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Jan 3, 2005, 04:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kktobias
    I have win xp pro. My son bought a dell inspiron 1150 laptop (wireless). We hooked up the router to my desktop and cable modem. My question is, if my son gets spyware/adware on his computer, will that spyware/adware go on my desktop since we are hooked up to my cable modem?

As I understand the definition of spyware, the answer to this question would be "no." Programs that spread in this fashion would be considered to exhibit "virus-like" activities, and would therefore be classified under "viruses" or "worms," but not spyware.

Spyware does not spread in this fashion, but viruses do.

This might sound like a stupid question but my kid knew I downloaded service pack 2 on my desktop and it also got installed on his laptop?
    Um... that can't happen. It must have been installed on both.

By the way, please do not cross-post. :)
    ~psi42

Jan 17, 2005, 05:25 AM
    Strange issue
    Yes it did happen. I downloaded SP2 and he also got it on his laptop. Don't ask me how because I have no idea!!

Jan 17, 2005, 05:26 AM
    Cross Post?
    What do you mean?
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Jan 17, 2005, 05:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kktobias
    What do you mean?
    You posted the same question multiple times on this site, in different forum sections. This causes problems because:
    1) It clutters the "recent posts" list
    2) It makes communication difficult because there will be different things happening in each duplicate thread. Thus you will have to answer the same questions twice, and your posts might get ignored all together.
    3) People with the same problem might only see one of your threads, and not get their answer, while their answer is sitting in the duplicate thread you posted.

So... there's cross-posting in a nutshell. :)
    Please, please, please don't cross-post.

~psi42

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I can't make spyware/adware go away! [ 7 Answers ]

Hi - A few days ago I accidentally clicked on a popup window while trying to click another link and immediately my computer began spewing ads... I have Microsoft AntiSpyware, Ad-Aware SE, and Spybot on my computer and I have run numerous scans and gotten rid of countless infections, but they keep...

Dell laptop [ 6 Answers ]

Tried Several Things Need Help Trying To Connect Laptop To Landline Using Free Netzero I Have A Network And Modem Card All In One I Can Get It To Dial And When It Says You Are Loged On And It Verifies Password Then It Disconnects And Starts Redialing The Next Number...

Adware and spyware removers [ 10 Answers ]

What's the best free adware/spyware remover to get that won't mess up my computer? I want one that will not mess up my Internet explorer, antivirus and programs I put on my computer but just get rid of things that are not necessary. I used one several months ago that I think messed things up so I...

Is BackWeb a virus, spyware, or adware [ 2 Answers ]

I've heard that 90% of computers are infected with BackWeb. Does anyone have any information on BackWeb? Is BackWeb a virus, spyware, or adware?

Spyware and adware [ 1 Answers ]

It seems I have a shedload of adwware and spyware infections. They keep hijacking my home page and I'm besieged with pop-ups, all of which tell me I have adware and spyware on my PC and offering to clean it off for a price. Obviously I don't trust these pop-ups as they are adware in themselves. ...

View more questions Search