Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johnboy41 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2012, 09:16 AM
    Dental bone graft healing
    How long does a dental bone graft heal on? How long for the hole to close up and the pain stop?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 19, 2012, 09:39 AM
    You would have been given after care procedure for your bone graft, if you did not, here it is and it also answers your question:

Recovery

After your dental bone graft, avoid hard or chewy foods until the area is cleared by your doctor. Because you need to avoid putting pressure on the area until the healing is well underway, you may not be able to wear dentures for a few weeks after the procedure. Avoid brushing the area until the incision has healed, and then brush lightly without pressure.

If you smoke, stop. Cigarette smoking slows the healing of wounds throughout the body and complicates dental procedures. People who smoke have a higher risk of bone graft failure.

It takes 6 to 12 months for your dental bone graft to heal completely. It may take more than one bone graft to build the bone up as much as necessary for the dentist to place an implant. Your dentist will see you for follow-up appointments to check on the healing of the bone graft site and perform x-rays to check on the status of the bone in the area. Sometimes, even if you do everything right, the bone graft fails. If your bone graft fails, the dentist will remove it and try again after the area has healed.

After Care for Dental Bone Graft | eHow.com

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Clarification whether is it bone spur or bone tumor [ 2 Answers ]

Hello doctor, my mother(45+ years) has bone spur(tissue like projection) in the foot from the foot x-ray and scan taken. now I have a doubt that whether is it a bone tumor or bone spur. because sometimes she has fever, chills and little night sweat, vomiting and tenderness, swelling.

What Do I Do About Hairs from Skin on My Collar Bone Growing on a Skin Graft? [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, All! Had a large area of skin cancer removed from my nose and slightly above my right eye a couple of months ago. The graft for it was from an area directly on the front of my collar bone. Have now found some hairs growing out of the graft. They definitely aren't whiskers! What might...

How long for bone graft to heal? [ 8 Answers ]

At the beginning of April, I had a tooth extracted and a bone graft done, so that I can have an implant done later in the year. Now, the gum has healed up well, the stitches are out, but it is still sore when you press on it, and I feel as if there is less there than around it. Will the bone...

Looking for a filet crochet graft [ 2 Answers ]

I'm looking for a graft of a tapestry with lions,trees knights a little of everything tanks so much

Dental work inexpensive at Dental Schools? [ 1 Answers ]

In the Raleigh-Cary area, do any of the Dental Schools offer inexpensive routine care for seniors on a tight budget? Thank you, Bob

View more questions Search