Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jmc0319 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2012, 05:00 PM
    Mildew smell from tub overflow
    I have a mildew smell not sewer gas coming from my tub overflow. It is the lever type of overflow. I want to remove the two screws that hold the face plate on the overflow. I am fearful that something might fall in behind the rub that I will not be able to reach. I want to remove it so I can pour some bleach in there to kill the mildew smell. Do I have anything to worry about?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 19, 2012, 12:11 PM
    Do I have anything to worry about?
    No! The only things loose will be the 2 screws( see image) The problem with doing it your way would be the bleach simply running through the pipe and not staying in it long enough to do any good, Here's what I'd do. I would open up the tub access panel and remove the bend of the trap. Then you can close off the end of the overflow tube and let the bleach set overnight, You wouldn't even have to remove the innards all the way to pour in the bleach. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

Jmc0319 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2012, 01:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    No! The only things loose will be the 2 screws( see image) The problem with doing it your way would be the bleach simply running through the pipe and not staying in it long enough to do any good, Here's what I'd do. I would open up the tub access panel and remove the bend of the trap. Then you can close off the end of the overflow tube and let the bleach set overnight, You wouldn't even have to remove the innards all the way to pour in the bleach. Good luck, Tom
    Thanks Tom.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet smell in summer and overflow line smell in winter [ 2 Answers ]

In the summer my downstairs toilet smells awful, like sewer, and in the winter the overflow lines for my airconditioning and water heater smell like mold. (they are located in garage) Any ideas about what could possibly be happening? Thanks

Mildew smell on clothes [ 6 Answers ]

When I take my clothes out of the closet they smell like mildew... how to take the smell out?

Mildew smell [ 1 Answers ]

hi my name is omar. I recently had a water leak in the basement (finished) and part of the carpet got soaked. ( 2' x 6') I tried to clean w/a carpet cleaner, but the mildew smell is still there. I also tried to air out the basement. Is there anything I can do to get rid of the smell?

Mildew smell in bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

We have a 2 yr old house, for about the last 2 months there has been a terrible mildew smell in one of the bathrooms. The bathroom is used on a daily basis... We have taken everything out of there 3 times now and scrubbed it down with bleach/cleaner, replaced shower curtain, rugs,towels,etc.. It...

View more questions Search