Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Christopher_amatulli Posts: 45, Reputation: 0

Mar 6, 2007, 06:38 PM
    Looking for adivce on a "pest" issue
    OK, I have a very interesting problem I expected to be caused by a completely different animal... basically we have been having an issue where our garbage pails have been attached by something on several nights... now living in the north east, I right away expected it to be a racoon... so, typically I would set some bait and pluck it off with a BB gun or something... but interestingly enough, we discovered it wasn't a racoon and instead it was some stray cat... does anyone here have any advice on taking care of this cat? My wife likes cats so if I tell her I'm going to eliminate it she might get pissed (and for all I know, this is someone's pet without a collar)... hav-a-heart traps won't work as they will catch a squirrel long before the cat comes around...
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2007, 06:44 PM
    Are the lids to the garbage tightened down securely, so the cat will not get in? Calling the local pet shelter for ideas? Reporting this to the police? If this is someone's cat, why is it out without a collar, not being on a leash? But then maybe you do not have a leash law. If this is a stray cat, or a wild cat, that cat could be harboring a disease. The cat is messing with your garbage can, it must be doing the same to others. Have you talked with your neighbors?

Good luck getting to the bottom of the cat mystery.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2007, 06:49 PM
    There is a product called "Critter Ridder" that you can use around the garbage pail. You could also try moth ball flakes inside the pail.

You could put a heavy piece of wood or a rock on top of the lid for awhile, too. The cat will probably find another place to eat.

Didi
    Christopher_amatulli Posts: 45, Reputation: 0

Mar 6, 2007, 06:50 PM
    When we put the pails out in this area we have to take the lids off, and that's when the pails are getting attacked. We don't have a local animal shelter, and if we call the police there response will be to tell me to take care of the cat...

I'm going to talk to the neighbors tomorrow and see if they know the cat... if it's a resident stray I'll see what my neighbors want to do...
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2007, 02:53 PM
    If you have to keep the lid off, try putting some ammonia in a spray bottle. Spray the top of the garbage with it, around the sides of the container, and around the ground surrounding it. You could also sprinkle freshly ground cayenne pepper on the ground around the can and on top of the garbage if you want to ensure he won't even try to get into it. Do it every garbage day for a while. Your garbage man may think it is weird but Kitty will find new territory to terrorize.
    DAVE231 Posts: 91, Reputation: 9

Mar 13, 2007, 03:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher_amatulli
    ok, i have a very interesting problem i expected to be caused by a completly different animal... basically we have been having an issue where our garbage pails have been attached by something on several nights... now living in the north east, i right away expected it to be a racoon... so, typically i would set some bait and pluck it off with a BB gun or something... but interestingly enough, we discovered it wasnt a racoon and instead it was some stray cat... does anyone here have any advice on taking care of this cat? my wife likes cats so if i tell her i'm gonna eliminate it she might get pissed (and for all i know, this is someone's pet without a collar)... hav-a-heart traps wont work as they will catch a squirrel long before the cat comes around...
    In the northeast, many Chinese restaurants have special uses for cats. Contact one and see if they will be willing to adopt the feline (until it is ready to be incorporated into chow mein or General Tso's Kitten.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Pink pill with "watson" and "502" on it [ 2 Answers ]

What kind of pill is pink and has watson 502 on it?

Heater blows cold when "On", not at all on "Auto" [ 1 Answers ]

Our gas heater is 7 years old, and has worked fine in the two years we've rented here. This winter though, we can't get it to work consistently. When on "Auto", it doesn't turn on at all, no matter what temperature we select, and when we turn the fan to "On", it simply blows cold air. It...

View more questions Search