Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TDCRRA Posts: 53, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2012, 03:04 PM
    Corporate tax question on expenses & work truck
    We have a very small corporation and our tax person tells us that "we--personally" have to pay for the work truck that is only used for the corporation.

She says at the end of the year that the corp. Can claim either the mileage of the truck or the actual expenses that were incurred and actual gas uses. Now I understand this aspect of the law but I do not understand why she tells us that we personally have to pay for the work truck out of our regular checking account?? It seems to me that the corp. Should pay for the truck?

She also tells me... "do not pay for the truck expenses such as repairs and maintenance or the truck payments out of the corp." is that right?? Thank you for your time.
    MLSNC Posts: 158, Reputation: 17

Aug 17, 2012, 07:02 PM
    Who owns the truck, that is how is it titled?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 18, 2012, 04:52 AM
    Also, is your corporation a "C" or a "S" corporation?

Aug 18, 2012, 07:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mlsnc View Post
    who owns the truck, that is how is it titled?
    We have titled it in our name but we could title it in the corporations name if that would make the corporation pay for it cause we are having to pay for it right now. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Aug 18, 2012, 07:55 AM
    To tell you the truth I am not sure. We are a very small company and have only two employees, if that makes any difference. I will find out and let you know. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Aug 18, 2012, 08:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantataxexpert View Post
    also, is your corporation a "c" or a "s" corporation??
    We are a "c" corporation.

Aug 18, 2012, 08:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mlsnc View Post
    who owns the truck, that is how is it titled?
    We own the truck but we could put it in the corporations name if that would make the corp. Pay for it??
    MLSNC Posts: 158, Reputation: 17

Aug 18, 2012, 12:16 PM
    You need to account for your business miles to the corporation. You need a mileage log to do this properly. The corporation can then reimburse you based on the mileage rate. You could ask for reimbursement based on the actual cost, but if that reimbursement exceeds the mileage rate then the whole thing becomes compensation and should end up on your W-2 and it is subject to employment taxes.. You would then have to deduct the expenses as a business expense on Schedule A as a miscellaneous expense subject to a 2% limitation.

If you title the truck into the corporation (corporation pays all the bills), you still will have to account for your miles. Any personal use of the vehicle would then be put into your W-2 based on vehicle value, the IRS tables, and the percentage of use based on the log..

If you don't think you have to have a log then you need to read this case - Niyitegyeka, T.C. Summ. 2008-129.

Since you are owner/officer this is the way it will work for you. For other employees the log/compensation rules would be different and are easier.

I have clients that have their vehicles in the corporation and some have left them out due to the W-2 complications (and just reimburse based on miles). To be honest does everyone keep a log - no; does everyone get audited - no, but if you do not have one and you get audited it could cost you.

It gets a little complicated, but I hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1 corporation & Tax Expenses Deduction [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am on H1. I donot wish to apply for green card. Now I know that I can start a C corporation in usa. I would like to start one. And I know I cannot work fulltime on it but can play a managerial role. ( I expect to attend meetings with client twice a month or travel on weekends to ensure...

Moving Expenses(Work Related) question about Taxes [ 2 Answers ]

I wanted some clarification on this. I work at a major retail chain. I voluntarily transferred to a new store. I moved from Ohio to Florida. Can I claim moving expenses for this?

Tax info - rental house - capital expenses or current expenses? [ 1 Answers ]

I own an older home that is a rental property. The roof was well past end of life and my tenants reported a leak so I had the roof replaced by an equivalent (tar and gravel replaced by torch-on). Is this a current or capital expense? Also, new tenants complained about the windows (again at or...

Work in NJ and live in NY tax question [ 1 Answers ]

I see a lot of people living in NJ and working in NY but its hard to find info on working in NJ and living in NY. Do you know how taxes work when I live in NY and work in NJ? Does the federal get affected by this. I own a home in SI and my wife works in NY. Thanks

View more questions Search