Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    menthas84 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2005, 10:11 AM
    Hard drive cache
    :eek: can anybody tell me what the difference is in a 2mb and 8mb cache on a hard drive , and what is the best 1 to have, thanks.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2005, 04:34 AM
    Cache
    Hi,
    The difference is 6 mb... just kidding.
    The Cache is the amount of hard drive space you allow for the History of all the web pages you visit.
    It keeps a record of where you have been, so that the next time you visit that site, it doesn't take as much time to pull up the site; usually.

The size really doesn't matter.
    At any website, at the top, click on Tools, then Internet Options.
    Click on the Temporary Internet Files "Settings" button.
    Most suggest setting this amount to 60 mb; but you can really set it at any amount you wish.
    Also, set your days to keep history at 1 or 2 days. If you don't clear Cookies, History, etc, often, that will keep your hard drive cleaner.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2005, 06:48 AM
    I think he may mean the physical cache on the hard drives. Here's a good article about that:
    http://www.vtec.co.uk/hard_disk_cache.asp

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hard drive easy question! Help! And 1 hard one! [ 6 Answers ]

undefined I have two questions first is the hard one I tried out a trial version of "folder locker" which locks up and encrypts (I guess) your deata so no one else can see it when they are on your computer.. it also lkets you lock down entire drives.. so somehow I went to lock down my o drive and...

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

Hard Drive [ 4 Answers ]

My Question is : I have a 40gb hard drive. I have some music, and some pic's. My hard drive has 13% free. I can't believe I 'm using 29gb for that. How do I determine what to clean and how do I do it?

Is it a hard drive? [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I'm running a clean computer (no spyware, etc.) but am having trouble starting almost any application (such as Gurunet, NAV 2005, MSIE, Family Tree Maker). Others stop functioning (freeze) after a while - such as Excel. Could this be a sign of a bad sector or HD? Is there a tool to...

Cannot see hard drive [ 6 Answers ]

I have a compaq desk pro en trying to load win 98 . Promt says I have no hard drive or cannot read hard drive What could be wrong?

View more questions Search