Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xxxlauraxxx Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2012, 07:34 AM
    Does the biological father have equal rights as the mother
    My boyfriend and I are having a baby but are arguing on the surname of the baby. I was wondering once the fathers name is on the birth cert does that give him equal rights to me. Also I was wondering what the laws are on paying child support if you are not cohabitating. And if something was to happened to me would the father have full custody or would that me my decision
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2012, 07:45 AM
    THe biological father has equal rights to the child as the mother even if his name isn't on the birth certificate... all he does is petition the court they have a DNA test done and his status is confirmed and recognised legally.

If you should die... he will have full custody and there is nothing you could do to stop it.

In fact, he could still file for custody and fight for it... and stand a chance of getting it.

Of course yo uare elligible for child support and that will automatically establish his status as the father as well... assuming he agrees its his, or DNA tests prove its his after he contested it.

In other words... you can't deny him his rights...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 17, 2012, 08:31 AM
    His name on or not on the birth certificate does not change or give him any more or less rights.

While the mother is normally given custody or joint custody without proving anything, the father can ask for and get joint custody fairly easy now a days.

He will unless a real danger to the child get visitation.

And can be liable to pay child support.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can biological father get rights if mother is married? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, Im trying to find out whether I would be able to obtain any legal rights to my potential child. My situation is a bit complicated but to summarize, I met a girl who was married but separated at the time we were together. We were together for only about 2 months and we broke up. At the time, she...

Is a biological mother responsible to repay child support to a non biological father [ 3 Answers ]

The mother of a child was in a relationship with 2 men at the same time, she became pregnant. She married one of the men who has raised the child as his own and now they are divorced and he pays child support. The other man has wanted to know for years (8) if he is the biological father but...

Non-biological father wanting to sign off rights so the biological father [ 15 Answers ]

I was pressured into signing as the father to my now ex girlfriends baby, she's now back with the biological father and we're trying to find out how I can sign the rights over so that the biological father can have rights of his baby. How would we go about signing off my rights, and would anything...

What is process for birth mother to relinquish rights to the biological father [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I are going to raise the baby he is the biological father of, soon to be born. The biological mother, has two kids and does not want to raise another. She wants the baby's father, my husband, and I to raise this baby as our own. My husband will be listed as father on the birth...

View more questions Search