Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    polarbear360 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2012, 09:08 PM
    is it possible that a male rabbit and a female guinea pig can have babies
    well we have two female guinea pigs and one male rabbit and one of the guinea pigs had two babies but unfortuateley they died is this possible everyone keeps telling me that its not but the babies looked kind of like a guinea pig x rabbit because guinea pigs are meant to be born with fur but these weren't and rabbits aren't born with fur either. Please help I am so confused :)
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Aug 16, 2012, 09:25 PM
    Not possible.
    roxysam27 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2012, 03:19 PM
    I think it could be possible. I mean you said both pigs were female. And guinea pigs always have fur when they come out even with their eyes open! So since they had no fur and died it coul be possible
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2012, 06:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by roxysam27 View Post
    I think it could be possible. i mean you said both pigs were female. and guinea pigs always have fur when they come out even with thier eyes open! so since they had no fur and died it coul be possible
    Have you ever heard of GENETICS? Lagomorphs and rodents do not mate, any more than a cat and a dog could have a "cog" or a "dat".
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Sep 4, 2012, 08:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by roxysam27 View Post
    I think it could be possible. i mean you said both pigs were female. and guinea pigs always have fur when they come out even with thier eyes open! so since they had no fur and died it coul be possible
    No, not possible... not even "could be"...
    UK Apple Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2012, 02:38 AM
    The rabbit as the father does seem very unlikely, so: genetic diseases in guinea pigs which aren't uncommon do cause blindness and loss of fur so it is possible that one of your guinea pigs is male and from either of your guinea pigs a disease has unfortunately been passed down to the young. If they have been together some time and this is the first litter (often guinea pigs will mate asap) the cause of it being so long before a litter has been produced could just be that in a social group, the dominant male is always the one who mates with the females for guinea pigs and I can imagine it could be hard for a guinea pig to gain dominance over a rabbit.

However, could I also just note.. Please never keep rabits and guinea pigs together as they are not the same species, can't communicate properly and as the rabbit is much larger than the guinea pigs then he is likely to 'bully' them. Even if they are friendly together then a kick from a rabbit out of just a casual hop or from a joyfull spout of energy could be enough to kill a guinea pig or seriously damage it. Have you ever thought about the welfare of your rabbit either? Rabbits are supposed to be kept in pairs of rabbits. Yours won't be able to communicate with the guinea pigs so there is a good chance he may become lonely. I realise all of this sounds very harsh but it isa very common misconception that rabitts and guinea pigs are good cage mates.
    animallover 515 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2012, 04:24 PM
    Its not possible at all

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rabbit and Guinea Pig [ 1 Answers ]

We have a female rabbit and a male guinea pig living together in a 3 story cage. All has been great for about three months but now I notice they are each pulling out patches of each others hair? Are they fighting for the domain or maybe the femaile rabbit is in heat and the male pig senses this? We...

Can half rabbit and half guinea pig babies live [ 3 Answers ]

My female rabbit lives with a male guinea pig and is now pregnant, no there rabbits have been near her so he must be the father,what will happen, anyone know

Introducing a rabbit to a guinea pig. [ 35 Answers ]

Alty, I need your help on this one but I thought I'd post it here in case anyone else wants to answer or was wondering the same thing :) I have 2 dwarf lop eared rabbits as you know one male (jack), one female(dora), in separate cages. My partner wants to get a guinea pig as he doesn't really...

Can I Keep a pregnant rabbit in with a male guinea pig [ 2 Answers ]

Hello can anyone help me my rabbit is pregnant and she normally lives with a male Guinea pig can I leave him in with her or will I have to separate them before she has her babies not sure what to do hope some one can help

View more questions Search