Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Joanna 2012 Posts: 17, Reputation: -2

Aug 16, 2012, 03:51 PM
    Chipmunks for sale??
    I have been looking for a pet chipmunk for a while since I have seen chipmunks as pets in the USA!

Does anyone know where to buy a domestic chimpmunk in the Toronto On, Canada area?? Any breeders you know of?

Tried a breeders of chipmunk website but ended up being a scam!
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Aug 16, 2012, 04:04 PM
    Nobody sells chipmunks legally as far as I know.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 16, 2012, 04:14 PM
    A chipmunk would be an extremely difficult pet to have and one that will get boring very quickly.

"A chipmunk will never become truly ‘tame’ such as a dog will. It will not respond to its name and will generally dislike being picked up."

Read more: Pet Chipmunks | The Real Owner
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 16, 2012, 04:51 PM
    They're not legal in Canada, neither are rats, or turtles for that matter.

The only way you'll get a pet chipmunk is steal one from its mother. Before that I highly suggest you research them, they do not make good pets, and no vet will be able to care for them, they'd be required to report you as soon as you brought the chipmunk in.

Why not get a hamster?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2012, 06:46 PM
    It is a violation of most state laws to keep a "wild" animal unless licensed.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2012, 05:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Joanna 2012 View Post
    I have been looking for a pet chipmunk for a while since I have seen chipmunks as pets in the USA!!

Does anyone know where to buy a domestic chimpmunk in the Toronto On, Canada area??? Any breeders you know of??

Tried a breeders of chipmunk website but ended up being a scam!!

I'd like to know where in the US you saw pet chipmunks -
    Pets Expert

Aug 17, 2012, 06:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I've never seen pet chipmunks for sale, only people stupid enough to steal one from a nest and raise it. It never ends well. My dad once rescued a squirrel from a cat, we raised it until it was old enough to fend for itself, and that was only because the animal rescue refused to take it. When it was old enough we were all glad to release it to the wild.

But my dad couldn't let any animal in need go. He used to bring injured bats into the basement so they could heal, and then release them. Sadly he never told my mom and I about this. We found out the hard way, and I still have nightmares of the time my mom asked me to go to the basement to get something of the shelf for her, only to find a bat behind the object she wanted.

I have to say, I've rescued a few injured birds, and not one of them has survived. My Uncle however has had a lot of luck with this. He's raised a few robins that were abandoned, or injured, and all of them lived to be released.

Notice one thing about all of the stories I've told. I've had wild animals in my care, but not one of them was every made into a pet. They were all brought into our home at their hour of need, and when they were well, they were released back to where they belong.

Chipmunks aren't domesticated, and shouldn't be kept as pets. It's cruel, and really not a smart thing to do. Yes, they're cute, but so what? Just because something is cute doesn't mean you have the right to ruin its life.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2012, 06:46 PM
    I know its semi unrelated, but you can get both rats and turtles in Ontario.

Aug 23, 2012, 03:35 PM
    I saw on http://chiptastic.webs.com/wheretofindachipmunk.htm... That NY is legal... the UK on another site!

I have seen an ad for a sugar glider on kijiji once but heard their illegal here too! Not sure where the person purchased it!
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Jun 2, 2013, 06:01 PM
    It' s better just to attract squirrels and chipmunks to your backyard. I put several feeders with peanuts and sunflower seeds out in different areas so they don't fight and they come and gather them all day. Chipmunks hibernate in the winter, but squirrels come all year around.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2013, 06:48 PM
    And you capture them as pets?
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Jun 2, 2013, 07:12 PM
    And you capture them as pets?

Of course not, I only feed them in my backyard, I would never capture them, I didn't think I gave the impression that I did. I love watching them in my yard. I also feed hummingbirds, skunks, raccoons, foxes, porcupines and any other animal that happens to come to my yard.
    Pets Expert

Jun 2, 2013, 08:48 PM
    I think that's best Earl. Attract the animals you love in nature, and observe them, that's the way it should be. I love birds, and have a lot of bird feeders in my yard. We love to watch them, but that's it, we only watch. The only times I've ever had a wild animal in my home is when it's injured and can't survive on its own. Most of them don't make it, baby birds are usually thrown from their nest or abandoned by their mother, for a reason. But those that do survive, are released back to where they belong. The rest, I watch from afar, and enjoy in their natural habitat. :)

Jun 13, 2013, 04:31 PM
    How do I delete this thread>??
    Pets Expert

Jun 13, 2013, 04:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Joanna 2012 View Post
    How do I delete this thread>???
    You don't. Once it's posted, it's here to stay. That was outlined in the rules you agreed to when you signed up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

80's vhs about animals chipmunks or moles or something like that [ 1 Answers ]

I don't remember much about it but it was based around the one character I think I used to watch it when I was young I'm pretty sure there was other characters but I'm thinking it was about moles or chipmunks or something along that line I'm sure it was about chipmunks or moles or some animal of...

Gray and red squirrels and chipmunks [ 1 Answers ]

I've been feeding chipmunks and red squirrels peanuts and sunflower seeds in my backyard for many years. The red squirrels sometimes chase the chipmunks, but mostly they avoid each other and the chipmunks haven't gotten hurt. Today for the first time, a much larger gray squirrel appeared in my yard...

How do I get rid of chipmunks? [ 3 Answers ]

I have chipmunks that have invaded my garden and are feasting on the green beans and cucumbers. We have a fence up but that does not deter them. What can I do so we can eat our harvest? https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/images/smilies/confused.gif :confused: Kassidynick:confused:

Rabbits and chipmunks, Oh My! [ 7 Answers ]

How do I keep rabbits from eating my flowering plants and herbs AND how do I keep chipmunks from digging up my flower garden?

View more questions Search