Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trinity45 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2012, 03:46 PM
    How do I kill fleas on 3 day old puppies they have a lot of fleas
    3 days ago my dog had puppies )in my house it is hot so I put the cage out side so they weren't hot and now the mom and the puppies are infested with fleas and they are o yung I don't want to put flea medson because they are so small what do I do
    Joanna 2012 Posts: 17, Reputation: -2

Aug 16, 2012, 04:13 PM
    If you do not want to use a chemical usually found in flea and tick medicine! I would suggest trying this shampoo Tropiclean! It has Neem oil in it! Says on the bottle relieves itching due to fleas and ticks! If you try this and it does not work you should ask your vet!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 16, 2012, 04:42 PM
    For puppies that young, ask a vet first before using any product.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 16, 2012, 04:49 PM
    The only safe thing to do is consult a vet. If the OP can't afford a vet (which she should be able to as a breeder), then a warm moist cloth, rub the puppies down, and dry them thoroughly. Make sure to dry them and keep them warm, at this age they lose body heat easily.

The moist cloth won't get rid of all the fleas, but it will help.

But really, the best and really only course of action the OP should be taking, is to take the puppies and the mom to the vet.

As a side note, the mom should also not be receiving flea treatment as the puppies are still nursing, and it will affect them.

Vet! As a breeder this isn't even a question that should have been asked.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2012, 05:41 PM
    Along with the answers above - the mother dog should be on a product like Revolution that will control fleas on her and is safe for lactating mothers. DO NOT get ANY flea medication from a pet/department store as they are not safe for lactating dogs.
    asompur Posts: 17, Reputation: 0

Aug 17, 2012, 06:46 PM
    Anything ranging from shampoos to rub things to collars don't do it. It could harm your pets. If a vet says its OK go ahead but until then let the fleas be and try and leave the puppies outside in a safe place, if possible
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2012, 02:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by asompur View Post
    Anything ranging from shampoos to rub things to collars dont do it. It could harm your pets. If a vet says its ok go ahead but until then let the fleas be and try and leave the puppies outside in a safe place, if possible
    This is both inaccurate and dangerous advice.

Leaving fleas on such young puppies could easily kill them, especially a heavy infestation.

Puppies under 2 weeks of age cannot maintain body temperature so leaving them outside could very well be a death sentence as well!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Puppies and fleas [ 9 Answers ]

My Staffordshire Terrior just had a litter of 7 two weeks ago and I just don't know what to do about the fleas... I don't want to hurt them by using just anything but it's so painful to see all thoughs fleas on them... so what do I do?

My 2 day old puppies have fleas [ 3 Answers ]

I need help dose anyone know how I can help my 2 day old puppies get rid of fleas without making them sick.

5 day old puppies have fleas [ 5 Answers ]

I don't want anyone jumping on me. We were given a female Chihuahua a little over a month ago and at the time we didn't know she was pregnant. We have had two Chi's for 9 years, both spayed, one recently passed away from CHF. We are responsible pet owners... never any puppies until now. Our new...

I rescued puppies but they have a lot fleas [ 25 Answers ]

I found 2 puppy that are about 1 week old (their eyes aren't even opened) and they have a flea problem, I know they are to young to use anu frontline or stuff like that but I wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions (like a home remedy kind of thing) thanks

Puppies and fleas [ 11 Answers ]

My puppies are 2weeks old and they are covered in fleas what can I do or what can I use on them

View more questions Search