Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    helpplz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2007, 04:09 PM
    Wiring Honeywell RTH230B
    The wiring out of my wall for my thermostat is Blue, Red, Green, Yellow, and white

My old nonprogrammable thermostat's wiring was connected by

C (blue),R (red),G(green),Y(Yellow),W(white)

My new Honeywell RTH230B has connections for

Rh, Rc, G, Y, W

My question is which R connections do my blue and red wires connect to? Does the red one connect to Rc? Does the blue connect to Rh?

Thanks so much!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 6, 2007, 05:25 PM
    The Rh and Rc get shorted to each other, check the instructions for this. They both go to the red. I am assuming you have a gas furnace with ac. G, Y and W are the same on the new unit as your old one.
    Rasheeda Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2007, 06:40 PM
    I currently have a WHITE-RODGERS THERMOSTAT.
    I want to install a HONEYWELL RTH230B.
    There are 4 wires: red,white,black & green from the wall.
    Which wire gets connected to the RTH230B?
    The RTH230B has RH,RC,W,Y,G
    THANKS, RS
    helpplz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2007, 07:18 PM
    Thanks Ballengerb1 for the help. You are correct assumiing we have a gas furnace. We plan on not connecting the blue wire at all and capping it off. Is this correct? Thanks!!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2007, 07:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasheeda
    I currently have a WHITE-RODGERS THERMOSTAT.
    I want to install a HONEYWELL RTH230B.
    There are 4 wires: red,white,black & green from the wall.
    Which wire gets connected to the RTH230B?
    The RTH230B has RH,RC,W,Y,G
    THANKS, RS
    A standard thermostat cable has a yellow wire connecting the Y terminals at the furnace and thermostat, and then running out to the coil of the A/C relay. If the black wire was connected to the Y terminal of the WR thermostat, just connect it to the Y terminal of the Honeywell. The red is connected to the RH and RC.

Otherwise, is your system and heat pump? If you aren't sure, check the sticky at the top of the forum. If so, read the directions for the thermostat very carefully. It may not work with a heat pump.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 7, 2007, 08:10 AM
    Rasheda, same answer as the one given to helpplz. "Which wire gets connected to the RTH230B?
    The RTH230B has RH,RC,W,Y,G" Rh and Rc both go to red, W is white , Y is yellow anf G is for green. As with helpplz, I am assuming you have gas hot air with a/c.
    boyshanks Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2007, 05:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Rasheda, same answer as the one given to helpplz. "Which wire gets connected to the RTH230B?
    The RTH230B has RH,RC,W,Y,G" Rh and Rc both go to red, W is white , Y is yellow anf G is for green. As with helpplz, I am assuming you have gas hot air with a/c.
    :confused:
    FOLLOW UP:

Same question however we have an ELECTRIC FURNACE.

The previous thermostat wiring used the blue wire. In this Honeywell RTH 230 do you connect the blue wire to the Rh or Rc? I have a Carrier Furnace and the blue wire is connected at the furnace on the common 24V screw.

I only have one red wire, so what do you mean when you say, the Rh and Rc both go to red? This is not a screw connection but the wires feed down into individual slots. The Rh and Rc were jumpered however the directions said to remove this for a 2 or 5 wire installation.

I have 5 wires -- Red, blue, White, Yellow, Green. I did label them from the previous t stat and the blue wire has a tag on it that says 'C'. I hope that helps.

Thanks in advance :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honeywell RTH230B [ 3 Answers ]

I currently have a very old thermostat, White-Rodgers 135-415, which I'd like to convert to a Honeywell RTH230B. Currently there are only 3 wires that are connected to the thermostat (which is only for my apartment's heat. White wire is connected to what looks to be labeled "Common" Black...

Wiring Honeywell Thermostat RTH230B [ 2 Answers ]

Hello every one my name is Ray from Florida. I currently purchase a new thermostat and I am having some trouble figuring it out. My current thermostat has 10 wires X2 O G Y T R W U F B and my new Honeywell RTH230B has only five Rh Rc W Y G. How do I match my wires?

Honeywell RTH230B - wiring [ 2 Answers ]

I'm installing the rth230b on a 3 wire gas fired boiler. The wires are blue, red, white. On the old mercury stat the blue and red wre on the same post. Anybody know how I should wire this one? Thanks! Mike

Honeywell rth230b [ 4 Answers ]

This winter I installed honeywell rth230b. Heater works great, but I have no a/c. I have 6 wires from wall. Rh--red Rc--blue W--white Y--yellow G--green Brown not being used Help it is 90 deg. I need my a/c Thank you all

Honeywell RTH230B Wiring [ 2 Answers ]

I have an existing Honeywell non-programmable thermostat with 2 wires, a white and black. I 'd like to replace with the RTH230B programmable. After reading the Reader's Digest Do-it-Yourself book, it says I would need to add wires if I wanted to replace a non-programmable thermostat with a...

View more questions Search