Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hukaluka Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2012, 07:33 PM
    My step child wants me to adopt him
    My wife and I have been married a little over one year - my stepson- whom I've known for over 3 years - wants me to adopt him- I would love to do this - My wife is also on board-His biological father is dead-

How do I proceed ?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 16, 2012, 03:21 AM
    First off your going to need proof the child's father is dead. Was the father proclaimed at any time to be the legal father? ( Sign a Birth Certificate or DNA test )

That is what is going to determine how you proceed. If there is no legal father then you may have to prove one before proceeding. It's a much longer road but still can be accomplished.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 16, 2012, 03:24 AM
    I would not recommend going through an adoption without an attorney. So you proceed by shopping around for and retaining an attorney. The attorney will then shepherd you through the process.

If the bio/legal father is deceased and you have proof and the child and mother are agreeable to the adoption then it should be a simple and easy process.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 16, 2012, 05:13 AM
    Has the grandparents from the dead fathers family filed for any visitation rights, some states the grandparents have rights. Not that it may stop an adoption, but their rights may be included.

But as long as the bio father was on the birth certificate or proven by DNA and there is proof of death, it should be fairly straight forward, but you will want an attorney

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can you adopt your step child if the father won't sign off his rights [ 9 Answers ]

How can you adopt your step child if the father won't sign off his rights? My xhusband won't sign off his rights to our daughter he doesn't see her call her nothing he does email me every so many months but doesn't ask about her he is in an out of jail all the time and he is using very hard drugs...

Can a step Mother adopt her husband child? [ 3 Answers ]

Am Married for 10 Years, My Husband and I Could have children of our own, so he travel to another country where he get a lady pregnant. Which he want me to race the baby. My question to you is, Is it posible for me to travel to another country and bring my husband baby back in my country and ...

Step-Father Signed both Prenup and Postnup Agreements to Support Step-Child [ 6 Answers ]

My husband signed both a prenuptial and a post-nuptial agreement to educate, maintain and support my children, his step-children. My husband sued me and my children (his step-children) over the agreements several years back but changed his mind and signed a release of all claims, an agreed...

Step parent adopt child when he is married to mother with full custody [ 1 Answers ]

I have full custody of my daughter. Her father barely calls her when he does it's about once a month and he tells her jokes. She is 6 will be 7 in April. He does pay child support. He is active duty in the Army stationed in Germany I don't know where he is exactly because he remarried and moved...

New step father wants to adopt child that has no father on birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new step father and I wish to adopt my 4 year old step son and my 8 year old step son . The 4 year old does not have a father listed on the birth certificate and the 8 year old does but the bio-father has not made any kind of contact in 5 years but is court ordered to pay child support and...

View more questions Search