Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2012, 12:30 PM
    Dishwasher Tripping Fuse - Possible Causes?
    Hi all,

We've had a new kitchen extension built. As part of the new build, we've got the new kitchen on a separate fuse board to the rest of the house. The older house has a style of fusebox with round buttons that pop out when tripped. The new board uses RCD's instead. Anyway, we've plugged in the dishwasher for the first time in a while & it flipped the fuse for the sockets after a few minutes. Tried another socket, same thing. I've know plugged it into a socket in the main part of the house (and therefore it will connect to the old fuse board). Now it's looking perfectly fine. So at the moment it's looking like a problem with electrics & the new fuse board.

But then I started thinking (a dangerous habit, I know :P). Previously there would be times where I'd be watching TV & the dishwasher would be going. The dishwasher would click & enter a drain cycle. At the same time, the TV will go blank for half a second. It was like the power had been cut but not for long enough for the TV to switch fully off. This happened quite consistently when the dishwasher was on but as all it did was almost turn the TV off, I didn't think much of it.

Does anyone think that this new fuse board might simply be more sensitive and is tripping the switch when the dishwasher does it's usual thing? Is that plausible? If anyone also has any ideas on what could be causing the dishwasher to "overload" the system like that & suggest how it could be fixed, that would be helpful.

Regards,
    Lee
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2012, 12:10 AM
    It sounds like you have loose connections in your panels which is a fast way to burn your house down. Take off the covers on all panels and tighten up all connections. You may find some where the insulation is burned off. Replace any breakers you find with burned wires. Don't delay; this will burn down a house very fast! Don't skip any connections; use insulated screwdrivers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dishwasher blowing fuse consistently [ 2 Answers ]

I have an older Kitchenaid undercounter Dishwasher model KUD123HB. While running going through the cycles it will some times blow the fuse. You put it back in and it works fine. Some time will go by and it will blow it again going to another cycle.. I'm considering getting another dishwasher but...

30 amp fuse in breaker box keeps tripping [ 4 Answers ]

The installer said it could be that the box is weak and I should go to a 40 amp breaker But my heat strips are 10mk And 30 amps should be enough I am wondering if he miswired the thermostat or should I go to a 40 amp breaker?

Oven is tripping the 50 Amp fuse [ 2 Answers ]

About 3 months ago my oven would spuratically trip the fuse. It is the only thing on that 50 Amp fuse. Up until that time (3 years)I've never had any problems with it. Is this due to a fuse being old, thus faulty, or is it an issue with the oven? Thanks, K

Fuse tripping [ 7 Answers ]

Fuse Trips When Compressor Is Triggered, One Small Wire Outside Unit Looks Knicked( With Weedeater ). 7 Year Trane Wire Follows Copper Line To Unit

View more questions Search