Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Just4now Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2012, 09:22 AM
    Prescribed Suboxone
    I have had some back problems in the past few years. I have been prescribed pain medicine and after a year of taking them, I told my Dr. that I would no longer take them due to the side effects. He has me on a prescription for Suboxone to help my pain as well as get off the pain meds with minimal withdrawals. I have been offered a new job and they have me scheduled for a hair folicle drug test. Will I fail the drug test even though I'm prescribed the Suboxone?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2012, 09:31 AM
    Present the prescription for Suboxone to the testing facility BEFORE your test.

If they can verify the validity of the prescription (and they will try)... they will note as such in the testing.

If it's a valid prescription... then you should pass the test.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2012, 09:41 AM
    That depends on the test used. Suboxone (buprenorphine) is a semi-synthetic compound and would not be detected on most drug screens. Even expanded panel tests usually don't include BUP.

Hair drug testing, like all drug tests, can detect only those drugs or metabolites specifically tested for.

What pain medication were you on and how long ago did you stop using it?

Also, have you been officially offered the position or is this a drug screen that all applicants must submit to. That determines what can be tested for.

Aug 13, 2012, 09:56 AM
    I have been prescribed Percocet in the past. I stopped that prescription 5 months ago and the doctor then prescribed me Suboxone. My doctor told me to take my prescriptions with me so they know that a doctor has prescribed them to me. I have not taken or done anything other what I have been prescribed.

Im pretty sure that I will be fine as long as I show them my prescriptions, but I'm still a little nervous.

As far as the job, I am scheduled to begin training next week. I have already been offered the position, however its pending the results of the hair folicle drug test and DOT physical.
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2012, 10:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just4now View Post
    I have been prescribed Percocet in the past. I stopped that prescription 5 months ago and the doctor then prescribed me Suboxone. My doctor told me to take my prescriptions with me so they know that a doctor has prescribed them to me. I have not taken or done anything other what I have been prescribed.

Im pretty sure that I will be fine as long as I show them my prescriptions, but im still a little nervous.

As far as the job, I am scheduled to begin training next week. I have already been offered the position, however its pending the results of the hair folicle drug test and DOT physical.
    It is a DOT test? If so, you can take a deep breath and relax.

Aug 13, 2012, 10:34 AM
    The paperwork I have received from the company is for a DOT physical and a hair folicle drug test. They have scheduled me to start training next week so I am certain that I have the job as long as my tests are fine.

I have all of my medications prescribed to me with me at the lab to show them. The DOT physical is to show that I am capable of driving a company vehicle. I just wanted to be sure my prescribed meds will not hurt my drug tests.

Quote Originally Posted by DrBill100 View Post
    That depends on the test used. Suboxone (buprenorphine) is a semi-synthetic compound and would not be detected on most drug screens. Even expanded panel tests usually don't include BUP.

Hair drug testing, like all drug tests, can detect only those drugs or metabolites specifically tested for.

What pain medication were you on and how long ago did you stop using it?

Also, have you been officially offered the position or is this a drug screen that all applicants must submit to. That determines what can be tested for.
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2012, 10:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just4now View Post
    The paperwork i have recieved from the company is for a DOT physical and a hair folicle drug test. They have scheduled me to start training next week so i am certain that i have the job as long as my tests are fine.

I have all of my medications prescribed to me with me at the lab to show them. The DOT physical is to show that I am capable of driving a company vehicle. I just wanted to be sure my prescribed meds will not hurt my drug tests.
    The reason I asked about DOT is that it does not allow for hair testing. Only urine. So that is unusual as DOT regs are quite clear on that point.

However, if the testing is DOT regulated you can take your prescriptions with you as confirmation, if you choose, but should not provide them to the collection point personnel. In doing so you waive your privacy rights otherwise protected as medical records.

Since you are post-offer they can inquire about any medical conditions or medications and you can advise them accordingly. The only person that can confirm your prescription is the Medical Review Officer (MRO). If the test shows positive for any substance the MRO will call you within 24 hours and at that point you provide the prescription info and the MRO then verifies through your doctor. While it may seem a minor point whether the prescription info is provided to collection personnel or the MRO it is not. The records of the MRO require that the information be maintained in a medical record file separate from personnel records.

The fact that it is DOT regulated, if it is, means there is no possibility that the drug information can be mis-handled as every step of the process is outlined in federal regulation and prescriptions cannot be used as a basis for dismissal or rejection but would require accommodation in some instances. See Federal Workplace Testing

Aug 13, 2012, 11:00 AM
    Thank you for your answer. That's the same thing my dr told me so hopefully it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Present the prescription for Suboxone to the testing facility BEFORE your test.

If they can verify the validity of the prescription (and they will try)...they will note as such in the testing.

If its a valid prescription....then you should pass the test.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I over-prescribed? [ 7 Answers ]

I am a 49 year old female, healthy but recently my dr prescribed the following... Tandem plus capsule ( prescription multi vitamin for women) 1 cap a day Vitamin d3 2000 unit one tablet per day Caltrate 600+d one per day And 1 injection of vitamin b12 (one injection per week for 4 weeks than...

Have Tachacardia prescribed stimulant [ 15 Answers ]

I have tachycardia and I worked for a Phyciatrist. He was sure I have ADD/ADHD. I told him I had tachycardia. He first gave me Adderall which made me moody , raised my blood pressure and heart rate. I told him all of this and he ordered an EKG and changed me to Dexedrine. EKG came back saying...

Prescribed meds [ 3 Answers ]

HI I have been taking xannax for years and I got pregnant and quit... well I had a really bad experience about 3 days ago and took a half of 1 mg pill.. now I am very concerned about how long this will stay in mine and the baby's system, from all the dcf horror storys I've been hearing. I know I...

View more questions Search