Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    latefordinner Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2012, 08:45 AM
    Marijuana Muffins and Hair Test-Dr. Bill
    It's been 5+ years since I used marijuana, and recently(10 days ago) ate a muffin, it was about the size of an egg. It felt like the effects lasted for 12 hours after ingesting. What's the chance this shows up in a hair test in the next few weeks?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2012, 08:47 AM
    Very good it will.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2012, 09:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by latefordinner View Post
    It's been 5+ years since I used marijuana, and recently(10 days ago) ate a muffin, it was about the size of an egg. It felt like the effects lasted for 12 hours after ingesting. What's the chance this shows up in a hair test in the next few weeks?
    Very, very unlikely. For reasons which have yet to be explained orally consumed cannabis products do not incorporate into hair. This was first noted in 2007 by Marilyn Huestis with NIH and later confirmed in a test by Auwater, 2010. That is reason #1 that it wouldn't show up.

Number 2, is that THC-COOH is not readily incorporated into hair regardless of route of administration. Usually requires prolonged and repetitive usage. As noted by Musshoff, in a 2006 study “In contrast to other illicit drugs, hair analysis lacks the sensitivity to act as a detector for cannabinoids.” This has been confirmed by researchers both before and after.

Auwärter, (2010) Hair analysis for Delta9-tetrahydrocannabinolic acid A--new insights into the mechanism of drug incorporation of cannabinoids into hair. Forensic Sci Int. 2010 Mar 20;196(1-3):10-3. Orally consumed THCA does not show up in hair.

Huestis (2007) Cannabinoid Concentrations in Hair from Documented Cannabis Users Forensic Sci Int. 2007 July 4; 169(2-3): 129–136.

Musshoff F, Madea B. (2006) Review of biologic matrices (urine, blood, hair) as indicators of recent or ongoing cannabis use. There Drug Monit. Apr 2006;28(2):155-63

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

One use of marijuana and hair test in 2 months [ 5 Answers ]

I know there are already questions about this topic but I have another one. I had 2 hits of marijuana a few days ago and I have a hair test coming up in 2 months. Before this usage, I was clean for over 90 days. What are the odds that this comes back on the test?

Marijuana in a hair follicle test [ 16 Answers ]

My son has never done any type of drugs before, he went to the beach this past summer and tried Marijuana. He said he only took 3 puffs and never tried it again. It has been about 75 days and he has to have a hair follicle drug test, would that be enough to show up in it? He is so worried.

How often do you have to smoke marijuana for it to show up in hair test? [ 4 Answers ]

I have only smoked 2 times in 16 mon. Once 2 mon ago once 2 weeks ago. Both times were only 2 hits. I just did a hair test. Will I pass?

Marijuana hair test [ 1 Answers ]

How much weed dose it take to show up in a hair test and how long dose it stay

Marijuana, hair follicle test will he pass [ 3 Answers ]

My son has to take a hair follicle in mid January he was in a rehab for 7 months and got out in sept. he relapsed but did not smoke much maybe a blunt and couple joints from what I understand but nothing since beginning of December will it show up:(

View more questions Search