Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Steph4353 Posts: 24, Reputation: 4

Aug 12, 2012, 10:07 PM
    How To Further My Education?
    I'm 13, have been in Gifted Classes all my life, ever since Kindergarten. I love learning; knowing things fascinate me. I have decided on several different things to be when I grow up, but it always changes. I wanted to be a police officer, then I wanted to be a veterinarian, then an author, then a BioMedical Engineer, and now I want something that deals with the human mind, but also I love writing.

Is there anything (Free) online I can do to further my education? I thought it would be a good idea to have writing assignments online that kids can submit their pieces, or maybe classes on psychology.

I feel as if I am not getting enough at school, even though I am in many gifted classes. I would like to know more through online classes and such. Does anyone know of anything that can help me further my education? (And have something to show for it?)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 12, 2012, 10:45 PM
    If you are willing to spend somewhere between $80-$140, you might want to take a writing class or two here: ed2go online course - Online adult & continuing education provider. It says adult, and I can't remember if I had to state my age anywhere You might be able to get into a course--email them if interested. I've taken several writing courses and one editing course. They can be channeled through your local community college (US--cheaper that way) or as an independent thing. You have two classes and related assignments per week and can ask questions online. The teacher and other students can all participate in answering each other's questions and in making comments.

At the end of the time allowed, if you successfully complete the course by passing a final (there's a midterm too), you can print out a nice certificate of completion. There is no college credit given, but I have found the classes to be stimulating and challenging, have honed old skills, and have gotten me new ones.

Another idea is to join Mensa. They have a division for young people and probably meet somewhere in your area. There is an annual membership fee (I think I paid $49 or so in March) and you will receive a local newsletter as well as a national one, plus occasional emails/mailings to keep you informed of goings on. I qualified because of my high score on a standardized test, so you probably won't have to take a special one.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 12, 2012, 10:52 PM
    Also, I'm always looking for essay writers for the site Blog (or start your own blog out there in cyber space).
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Aug 13, 2012, 09:18 PM
    What about learning another language. At my school, we offer Chinese classes after school for a small amount of money. Does your school offer different foreign language choices?

Aug 13, 2012, 10:20 PM
    No maam it does not. I have actually tried to talk to the principal about that and she went on about funding.

Aug 13, 2012, 10:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    If you are willing to spend somewhere between $80-$140, you might want to take a writing class or two here: ed2go online course - Online adult & continuing education provider. It says adult, and I can't remember if I had to state my age anywhere You might be able to get into a course--email them if interested. I've taken several writing courses and one editing course. They can be channeled through your local community college (US--cheaper that way) or as an independent thing. You have two classes and related assignments per week and can ask questions online. The teacher and other students can all participate in answering each other's questions and in making comments.

At the end of the time period allowed, if you successfully complete the course by passing a final (there's a midterm too), you can print out a nice certificate of completion. There is no college credit given, but I have found the classes to be stimulating and challenging, have honed old skills, and have gotten me new ones.

Another idea is to join Mensa. They have a division for young people and probably meet somewhere in your area. There is an annual membership fee (I think I paid $49 or so in March) and you will receive a local newsletter as well as a national one, plus occasional emails/mailings to keep you informed of goings on. I qualified because of my high score on a standardized test, so you probably won't have to take a special one.
    Thank you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Education [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to advance my career in nursing I'm currently an high school graduate I would like to ask from any of the registered nurses that is there any online lpn courses offered because I have house hold responsibilities and I'm a mom of 2 kids

Education [ 3 Answers ]

Priorities in a person's education

Life's education or Formal Education - Which is more valuable, and why? [ 7 Answers ]

I know both are equally valuable on their own, but what if a person had to choose one or the other? I'm curious about how others view individuals that have had to make this decision.

View more questions Search