Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Foil Posts: 178, Reputation: 4

Aug 12, 2012, 06:02 PM
    What tool (not a chisel or dremel) will make a marble-sized depression in wood?
    What kind of tool (other than a chisel or dremel) will make a shallow, marble-sized depression (like those in a marble solitaire game) in a piece of wood. Is there something similar to a forstner bit than can do the job? Is there something I can attach to a power screw driver or drill?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 12, 2012, 06:17 PM
    You can get round nose router bits for a plunger router, or put the bit in a pillar drill.
    Foil Posts: 178, Reputation: 4

Aug 12, 2012, 06:21 PM
    Thank you for responding! All I have to work with is a power hand drill and a power screw driver, no router. Also, I don't know what a pillar drill is.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 12, 2012, 06:25 PM
    A pillar drill is any kind of arrangement that fixes the drill in a vertical orientation above the work. You can use a regular drill if you can hold it accurately.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Aug 13, 2012, 05:29 PM
    Hi,
    Try a round burr, that is what I would do.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2012, 08:01 PM
    Ball pein hammer. I have also used large ball bearings and hit them. If you are looking for detail and consistancy, get a router.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 14, 2012, 08:55 AM
    Get a round nose router bit. You can use in in a drill depending on how deep you want the indentation, how neat you want the cut and how accurate you need to be. Not really enough speed.

You can purchase a trim router from Harbor Freight for under $30. I think they have a cheaper version for around $20 but not currently advertised.

I have one of the cheaper ones and it is really is a pretty good tool. Can't beat it for the price. I prefer it over my $90 Porter Cable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Pregnant and have a marble sized lump in underarm [ 2 Answers ]

I am 24 weeks pregnant. I quit smoking 6 weeks ago, and had a cold 4 weeks ago. I noticed a pain in my armpit and went to rubb it to see if it was an ingrown hair, but there was no ingrown hair, but instaed a marble sized lump deep under my skin. And it was tender to the touch. Is it just a swallen...

I need to grind and clean up an aluminum sculpture with a dremel [ 12 Answers ]

I have never used my dremel before. What accessory do I use and how do I use it?

How can I beat depression and make friends? [ 6 Answers ]

I have recently been diagnosed with depression and I find it really hard to mix with new people I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on how to talk to strangers without them thinking I'm a freak. I feel really out of touch with people I don't really have any friends and I don't know how to...

Marble and wood flooring [ 1 Answers ]

We are moving into a new house without flooring. I would like wood floors in the kitchen. My husband thinks it will look "too woody". I am looking for pictures to show him, done with color variation between the cabinates and flooring, it shouldn't. I also want to know it we could use marble...

View more questions Search