Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mohrjj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2012, 08:04 AM
    Can I test positive for second hand weed smoke?
    About a month ago I was exposed to 2nd hand weed smoke. When I realized what was going on I moved away from what was going on. I had to take a hair drug screen at work on 8/9/12. I am really worried about my exposure as my job has a zero tolerance for drug use. I myself have NOT smoked weed in three yrs... I'm just really scared that the 2nd hand will now cause me to have a positive result. Please help even if it is only to calm my nerves.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2012, 09:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mohrjj View Post
    About a month ago I was exposed to 2nd hand weed smoke. When I realized what was going on I moved away from what was going on. I had to take a hair drug screen at work on 8/9/12. I am really worried about my exposure as my job has a zero tolerance for drug use. I myself have NOT smoked weed in three yrs....I'm just really scared that the 2nd hand will now cause me to have a positive result. Please help even if it is only to calm my nerves.
    Based on your description of brief exposure to second-hand smoke the possibility of a detectable amount being incorporated into hair is near impossible.

That is not to say that second-hand smoke does not get into your hair. It does. But the exposure requires a sufficient amount to be absorbed via sweat or sebaceous glands (situated in scalp) and second that the amount absorbed would exceed the cutoff of the test performed.

So the brevity of your experience is the key and provided that is the only exposure then you will be fine.

Reiterating, it certainly is possible to test positive for THC-COOH* after exposure to second-hand smoke so avoid repeated or prolonged contact with that environment.

*the only metabolite that is used in confirmatory tests.

Ref: Nakahara, 1999

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can second hand smoke cause a false positive for THC? [ 2 Answers ]

I will be going to some concerts here in the next few weeks in which people will be smoking marijuana. These concerts are indoors and I have a drug test for a job I got when I arrive home. I was wondering if it is possible to test positive for THC from the second hand smoke? Thanks and I look...

Can second hand marijuana smoke make a positive hair folicle test [ 1 Answers ]

I have to take a hair folicle test and I haven't smoked marijuana in 5 months but I'm around it everyday. Will this make my hair test positive all though I didn't inhale any thc

Hair strand test results from second hand cannabis smoke [ 1 Answers ]

How much second hand cannabis smoke will test positive in hair strand drug test ?

Can you pass a drug test being around second hand smoke [ 1 Answers ]

I have to take a drug test wed. I took 2 loratabs Sunday! And I've been around second hand smoke. Will I pass my drug test

I have to take a urine test but I smoke weed! [ 8 Answers ]

I just started boxing they need these tests done by doctors to see if I'm healthy enough to box I know its not a drug test but will it show up that I've smoked it? Even if that's not what there looking for?? :confused:

View more questions Search