Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    waynejc Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2012, 08:32 AM
    Backyard Security Lights blinking On & Off:
    Can someone please help me with a lighting problem that started a few days ago? I have backyard security lighting that comes on and off, regulated by a TIME-ALL indoor digital wall switch Timer. There are 2 light brackets mounted on the side of the house (one on each side) that hold 2 security lights in each bracket. I have Energy Saving lights in 3 of the 4 light sockets and an adapter plug in the other socket, with a cord rope light plugged in that is strung around my patio. After working for over 2 years the cord rope light burnt out. A few days ago, I unplugged the cord rope from the adapter plug which left me with 3 security lights and a socket with the adapter plug. That’s when my trouble started – that night the remaining security lights started rapidly blinking on and off. I turned off the timer, and the next day I changed out the Energy lights thinking that there was a short or something in the lights. The next night the security lights started rapidly blinking on and off again when the timer turned them on, and would not stop blinking so I again turned off the lights via the timer. I finally removed ALL the lights and the Adapter so that there is nothing to come on when the timer turns the lights on at the set time. It has to be something simple as I have not had any trouble with the security lights for well over 5 years. It seems to me that the all the trouble started when I unplugged the rope light from the adapter, and removed it, which left 3 security lights burning. I really don’t know where to start to fix the problem. Can anyone help me to solve this? Thanks, Wayne
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2012, 10:12 AM
    The usual reason they blink is improper light placement. The photo eye sees it's dark and turns on and then turns off because the lights direct or reflect light back to them. Try moving the bulbs to point away from the sensor.

Aug 11, 2012, 10:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    The usual reason they blink is improper light placement. The photo eye sees it's dark and turns on and then turns off because the lights direct or reflect light back to them. Try moving the bulbs to point away from the sensor.
    Thanks for the reply but, I probably didn't explain myself clearly. The lights are not on a photo eye sensor. They come on and turn off via a timer switch located inside the house.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 12, 2012, 05:35 AM
    Have you tried the lights with out the adapter in that fourth bulb holder?

Aug 12, 2012, 08:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Have you tried the lights with out the adapter in that fourth bulb holder?
    Not yet, but a good idea. I'll give it a try tonight. Will get back to you if it works out. Thanks.
    mike 165278 Posts: 168, Reputation: 7

Aug 12, 2012, 07:45 PM
    What is the model number of the timer? Some timers have a minimum operating wattage. The flourecents lamps might not be enough of a load without the rope light.

Aug 14, 2012, 10:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mike 165278 View Post
    What is the model number of the timer? Some timers have a minimum operating wattage. The flourecents lamps might not be enough of a load without the rope light.
    Thanks for the tip. Here's what I did: I placed 1 light each (instead of 2), in each of the light fixtures then, I taped up the two empty sockets (one in each fixture), so dust and dirt wouldn't get in. I tried the switch to check for blinking and wala! No more blinking lights. When it was time for the timer to turn the lights on at dusk - they came on and worked without blinking. I hope my problem is solved and this all works out in the long run. A special "Thanks" to all of you who helped me with this problem. Wayne

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why is my ceiling fan lights blinking, when I turn on my lights. [ 2 Answers ]

My ceiling fan lights blink when I turn on my ceiling fan light... It does this when the fan is on or off... I have fluorescent lights the energy kind in my ceiling fan. My fans are 2 yrs old... And they are Harbor Breeze kind..

Blinking lights [ 0 Answers ]

I installed a Harbor Breeze fan in my kitchen about 2 1/2 years ago. Everything worked fine until a couple of days ago. It is installed so that the wall switch turns everything on then you control the fan and lights from pull switches on the fan. In the winter we just leave the pull switch for...

Blinking lights [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 4 y/o Bryant furnace that is giving me some intermitant problems. I am getting somt blinking lights on the control board. They are a short blink followed by two longer blinks. What is that an indication of?

Blinking lights no fan [ 0 Answers ]

Hampton Bay St. Regis 60" ceiling fan Model-138 498 fan and lower light is not responding and upper light blinks continuously. Checked the dip switches for the transmitter and receiver matched, new battery in controller, checked wall throw switches wiring connections.? :confused:

View more questions Search