Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SmilingInside Posts: 182, Reputation: 3

Aug 13, 2012, 06:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    If it's a continuation of this problem it goes here so people don't have to search out this thread in order to find the background.

Well I'll give you the gist of it, and hen you tell me whether to post it here or make a new one.

I just found out today that my son had run away from the facility he was at on FRIDAY. They just told me today. He's still missing.

I got a call from some strange number and I didn't answer it, this was on Saturday before I knew about him being missing. Anyway, I called the number back today to try to see if it was him, I left a message and he called back. It was some older sketchy sounding guy who said he had let my son use his phone.

What the heck do I do here? I don't want to do the wrong thing and scare this guy off because it's the ONLY lead on his whereabouts, but I am so unsure about what to do. I can't believe the man actually called me back.

I'm so damn confused right now about all of this... why was I not notified, what to do, what to do about this man who let him use his phone?? I don't know whether it's a good idea to call the police and tell them about the man's phone number or if that's a bad idea because it might lose the only lead we have. I was thinking to give it 24 hours and see if he calls back (the man said he'd have my son call, so I'm waiting). I don't know what the police could even do since the phone was from a different city than where my son is believed to be. I'm guessing the guy is a crackhead and it's probably a throwaway phone, he surely sounded pretty skeevy.

EDIT:My son has a substance abuse issue so I'm sure when he ran off he went straight on the lookout for drugs or alcohol and I'm thinking he probably got mixed up in something real bad here.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 13, 2012, 06:17 PM
    Tell the police. Don't wait. No brainer.

Aug 13, 2012, 06:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Tell the police. don't wait. No brainer.

The police are already aware he's missing... I'm just unsure about telling them about the phone number because what if it causes me to lose the only lead I have?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 13, 2012, 06:25 PM
    Tell them

Aug 13, 2012, 06:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    tell them
    Half of me thinks that's right but the other half I'm trying to put myself in this guy's place, if the cops call him, he's just going to deny ever seeing the kid and then won't take my calls anymore either. At least he talked to me, I guarantee if the cops call him he won't ever talk to me again and certainly won't give them any info. At least I got info out of him. See the dilemma?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 13, 2012, 07:28 PM
    It should be your first priority to give the police this number. They won't call it, they will track it and find out where this person is, then go in person. Hopefully your son will be there and be safe.

If this guy is as "skeevy" as you feel that he is, there may be the lives of other children at stake.

Aug 13, 2012, 07:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    It should be your first priority to give the police this number. They won't call it, they will track it and find out where this person is, then go in person. Hopefully your son will be there and be safe.

If this guy is as "skeevy" as you feel that he is, there may be the lives of other children at stake.

Are you sure they won't call the number? Because if they do, all will be lost. Also, the phone is a cell phone from a totally different city than where my son is, different state even. I'm also assuming it's a prepaid, based on how the guy sounded. How would they trace it?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 13, 2012, 07:40 PM
    They trace it by where it last pinged from. I'm not exactly sure how that works, but it would be from the closest cell tower from where the call came from. The area code on the phone may be different, but the ping could actually be local.

It may be a throw away, but you are only assuming that, you don't know for sure.

Aug 13, 2012, 08:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    They trace it by where it last pinged from. I'm not exactly sure how that works, but it would be from the closest cell tower from where the call came from. The area code on the phone may be different, but the ping could actually be local.

It may be a throw away, but you are only assuming that, you don't know for sure.

I called the police and gave them all the information, I don't know what will happen, the cop sounded pretty grim, but I'll update if I hear anything.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Not following custody agreement/ court agreement?? [ 4 Answers ]

I have primary custody of our little girl, my ex (her father) is supposed to get her every Wednesday 4:30-8 & every other weekend - Friday at 6 until Sunday at 6... since our court order has started, almost EVERY single time he has either been late or has not came to get her (not just 10 minutes...

There is no custody agreement. [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter's father pays child support, but his name is not on the birth certificate. He signed a paternity agreement when she was born in order to pay child support. What rights does he have to see her? He has made no effort to see her in 5 years and now wants to come and see her. I don't...

Custody Agreement Established but doesn't actually utilize the custody [ 2 Answers ]

We have a 3 year old daughter. We were never married and have had many hard times. Our last time in court we finalized our custody agreement. Times, dates, pick up and drop offs, the works. He has her every other weekend and 1 night per week (8 nights per month). In the past 6 months 50% of his...

Changing custody agreement [ 8 Answers ]

My ex-husband and I have joint custody of our 7 year old. My son usually lives with his dad and I get weekend visits and him for the summer. My ex-husband is in the military and when he gets deployed overseas my son comes live with me. He has been deployed twice now, his second tour starting last...

New custody agreement [ 12 Answers ]

My fiancé and I have been going back and forth with the idea of drawing up a new custody agreement for her girls and their father. He is a chronic heroin user, who is currently enrolled at a rehab center in NY this is his 3rd rehab in around 14 months. He went to one for a month, dropped out,...

View more questions Search