Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SmilingInside Posts: 182, Reputation: 3

Aug 10, 2012, 11:57 PM
    How much tobacco can one consume to combat parasites?
    It's a known fact that consuming tobacco that it kills parasites. This is usually done historically for animals... feeding them tobacco to kill the parasites.

I am wondering, can a heavy smoker or user of other types of tobacco have the same results? If so, how much?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 11, 2012, 02:45 AM
    I have never heard of a tobacco use such as this. Can you provide a link explaining this 'known fact'?

What kind of parasite would you be referring to as far as humans are concerned?
    I can only think of a few such as crabs, ringworm, tapeworm, etc.

You certainly have a busy lifestyle, Smiling; abortions, rescinding custody issues and re-decorating bathrooms, now we have killing human parasites with 'tobacco' products.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 11, 2012, 06:10 AM
    Warning I do not recommend anyone doing any of this

, let the old man of the south have a crack at this, Actually yes for some odd reason tobacco has and is still used to treat various things, but not the smoke, not the snuff held in your mouth. It has been given to some farm animals over the years for some various aliments but then there was no VETs, there was no antibiotics and so on.

It was often, and god help me for saying this, on children to make them throw up if there was a chance of food poisoning or something like that.

I have used it often in years past on bee stings or wasp stings to draw out the poison, you wet it ( chew) and apply it to the sting. It was also used on other cuts and infected areas back 100 years ago for the same purpose.

The smoke does not have the same effect since you need the actual material, not the smoke, all and any good effect is lost when it goes up in smoke.
    Also prolonged use, such as snuff or chew can also lead to other problems, the compress for a bee sting is not put on there every day for 10 years.
    SmilingInside Posts: 182, Reputation: 3

Aug 11, 2012, 07:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    I have never heard of a tobacco use such as this. Can you provide a link explaining this 'known fact'?

What kind of parasite would you be referring to as far as humans are concerned?
    I can only think of a few such as crabs, ringworm, tapeworm, etc.

You certainly have a busy lifestyle, Smiling; abortions, rescinding custody issues and re-decorating bathrooms, now we have killing human parasites with 'tobacco' products.
    Try Google. I thought it was common knowledge.

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp...w=1600&bih=775
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 11, 2012, 07:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SmilingInside View Post
    Try google. I thought it was common knowledge.

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp...w=1600&bih=775
    If it was common knowledge, I would have known about it. Thanks for the link, and of course, chuck's superior knowledge too.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2012, 10:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SmilingInside View Post
    It's a known fact that consuming tobacco that it kills parasites. This is usually done historically for animals....feeding them tobacco to kill the parasites.

I am wondering, can a heavy smoker or user of other types of tobacco have the same results? If so, how much?
    Can tobacco kill parasites?

Probably so. History is a good indicator and tobacco has a long history as a medicament in human as well as animal population. But tobacco like any agent would be selective. That is to say it could kill one type of parasite and not another. So doubt that it is or was ever used as a universal address for all parasites. Also, it could have unpredictable consequences by acting on one or more of the wide range of intestinal micro-organisms. That's the problem with antibiotics. They kill the targeted microbe but also a wide range of others in the process.

In addition as many of the various folk remedies used chewing tobacco (not smoked). Burning (pyrolysis) alters the chemical constituents of the base product and tobacco smoke contains so many additives as to render assessment of an indiviual agent impossible due to this combined effect of pyrolysis and chemical inter-activity. So, as Fr_Chuck pointed out, it isn't advisable to back-extrapolate affect based on one type of product from an earlier period and current products of a different nature (Even though they derive from same base product). That is particularly significant due to the extensive adulteration of cigarette smoke today.

If you have a continuing interest in this you can look into the use of snus in Sweden (a non-smoked product). There more people use snus than smoke and there is a significant body of research comparing the two products. Much of this is published in international journals that are available through the National Institutes of Health database:

Since tobacco has not been used medicinally for many decades I doubt that you can locate a source for dosage in respect to your proposed use. Leastwise, I wouldn't have a clue.

Interesting question. Thanks

NIH-NCBI Database National Center for Biotechnology Information
    Charlton, Medicinal uses of tobacco in history Medicinal uses of tobacco in history
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 11, 2012, 10:04 AM
    This is closed, it appears OP already knew the answer and was attempting to bait experts who would not have knowledge of a old folk treatment that is not allowed or recommended by the medical society today.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How much power will my new A/C unit really consume? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, We just got a new a/c unit (outside condenser) with the following specs. Cooling Capacity : 30000btu 208/60 Min. circuit amp: 16.2 Compressor: Rated Load Amps: 11.8 Locked Running Amps: 73

How much alcohol do you need to consume for it to show on a UA? [ 13 Answers ]

I had a couple of beers about 24 hrs before my UA, I am 5'2" and weigh 95 lbs. Will it show in my UA?

Silver parasites [ 1 Answers ]

What parasite lokos like slivers of silver or white lint on clothes, carpet , etc.

What not to consume while pregnant. [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone direct me to a good website that has lists of what to stay away from as far as food, medication; etc while pregnant? I know un-pasturized cheese is a big no-no. Also any raw meats. Caffeine etc. Thanks :D:D

Parasites [ 7 Answers ]

Being health conscious reading up on parasites has just plain freaked me out. I mean the idea of worms or microscopic parasites living inside of you. Not to mention the percentage of people infected with parasites are just plain staggering. What do you gyes think of colonix as being a colon...

View more questions Search