Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 10, 2012, 07:55 PM
    Checking magneto on B&S.
    Yardman riding mower, B&S engine.

No fire to plugs.

Checked magneto, have continuity through coil of magneto. Do not have have continuity between the coil wire of mag and plug wire.

Am I correct in assuming that meter should show continuity between coil wire and end of spark plug wire?

Never had a mag go bad before.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Aug 12, 2012, 10:01 PM
    Hi,
    Should have very little resistance in the primary, a few ohms, and a fairly large resistance in the secondary, on the order of 28 - 30 Kohms.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Aug 12, 2012, 10:12 PM
    Thanks.
    No continuity at all in secondary. Of course have no spark, even with kill wire disconnected.

Any preferred internet site for B&S mag?

Aug 12, 2012, 10:20 PM
    Hi,
    Is it Magnetron? Even if not, better to replace it with one. Give model and type and I will give link for parts breakdown and/or part number.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Aug 12, 2012, 10:26 PM
    OK, have to pull it to see, original on B&S 42A707, Type 2238E1, Code O010235A

Again, Thanks.

Aug 12, 2012, 11:16 PM
    Hi,
    Briggs opposed twin. Armature #394891. Briggs always assigns the same item number to various parts. Armature is always #333. Breakdown at:
    http://www.odref.com/briggsandstratt...s0635-0602.pdf
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Checking RPM 12 HP B&S engine [ 4 Answers ]

How do you test the RPM of 12 HP B&S engine riding mower? I believe I may have the tools to do it but I don't know what to hook up to where on the engine. Any help would be appreciated.

Checking coil on B&S 19HP twin? [ 5 Answers ]

I have lost spark on lawn tractor with a B&S 19HP twin cylinder engine. I suspect that it may be the coil. I also thought it may be one of the safety switches but if it were one of those the engine wouldn't even turn over would it? The B&S website tells me how to check coil with ohmmeter. If I...

Debts & Checking accounts [ 3 Answers ]

I have a few debts, and there are collectors calling. I am inquiring about starting a new checking account, but I am afraid that the collectors or anyone might be able to put a freeze on the account. I have children, and it would be easier for me to have a checking account to handle my financial...

12 hp briggs & Sratton Magneto? [ 1 Answers ]

I Have a fairly new 2002 murray 12hp riding lawnmower and it won't start, the spark plug is not firing, but,if I pull the little black wire off the magneto it will start, but, You have no kill switch. I need some help please it has a brand new battery and has sat for a while until just recently...

Replacing b&s Magneto [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 5 hp Briggs and stratton with a broken wire on the Magneto close to the winding, the wire that goes to the block ( I assume the Condenser/Points) is also in poor shape. I am looking at changing the magneto, DO I need to remov the flywheel to get at the wire to the condenser or is there a...

View more questions Search