Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jp4120 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2012, 03:23 PM
    Chimney pulling away from house
    I have a 12 year old brick chimney pulling away from the house - 1 to 1.5 inches at the top, nothing shifting at the bottom, in fact the bottom 20 feet of the chimney looks almost brand new, not settling cracks,etc.
    Above the roofline the bricks are spotted with white, probably the original installer used a different mix for the top of the chimney. -
    I just had 3 contractors come out with 3 proposals
    Contractor #1- knock everything down and rebuild - using old bricks where you can - using the anchor system all the way up. - cost $6500, with all new brick $7800
    Contractor #2 - knock down only from top to foot below roofline - rebuild with new bricks, use one or 2 course with anchor system - cost $6275. (seems too high)
    Contractor #3 - don't know down anything, go into attic and drill masonary anchors through the rake board and a metal support right into the bricks - also grind out pointing from roofline to top, recrown and repoint - recaulk entire chimney cost is $1500.

Any thoughts on these proposals - what is the opinion on #3?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 11, 2012, 10:01 AM
    I'd go with option three. But I'd have him put an piece of angle iron across the far side of chimney and run threaded rod through ceiling joist.

I am assuming that chimney has pulled away from house because of tilting. That tilting is probably caused by settling.
    After 12 years, chimney has probably settled all its going to but you don't know.

Tying rake board to chimney will not prevent further tilting. Tying chimney to ceiling joist might. I don't think roof rafters will provide enough resistance to further tilting.

Run rod through several joist, then brace between joist with X so you get the resistance of several joist.

This what I did for a customer. Whether of not it will prevent further tilting, I don't know. Have to go back in 5-10 years to see. It did close up the gap between the chimney and house siding enough to allow me to seal the opening with 1/4 round molding.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chimney pulling away from house [ 3 Answers ]

My home was built in 1988 - We have the home the market to sell. Recently one of realtors noticed the chimney is pulling away from the house. What is the best way to solve this issue. I doubt it will pass inspection. Thanks, Carl

If your chimney is in the center of your house, do you need a chimney liner to vent t [ 2 Answers ]

If your chimney is in the center of your house, do you need a chimney liner to vent the water heater?

Which side of house is best for chimney? [ 1 Answers ]

I want to add a prefabricated metal chimney and wood stove. Which end of the house east or west would be better? Or does it not make any difference. The prevailing winds are from the northwest.

Removing a chimney on outside of house [ 6 Answers ]

I have a chimney that goes from the ground level through the roof (overhang) on the FRONT of my house. My house is a rambler with a basement but the chimney does not go down into the basement and was built in early 70's. I would like to remove the chimney and fireplace and replace it with a...

Chimney at a slight angle inside house? [ 1 Answers ]

We have an island in our family room 12' wide. The right 1/3 is a vertical cavity for a putting in an entertainment assembly, we once fit a 40" projection TV fully into the cavity and it filled it. The cavity/shelf is elevated 3' with a base to it and empty storage underneath of about 1.5'. The...

View more questions Search