Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paschall2005 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2012, 05:04 AM
    My rabbit has separated the runt from the rest of the litter. What should I do?
    We rescued an adult flop bunny a couple of weeks ago. To our surprise a week later she had babies. She has been a great mother to all seven but last night she separated the runt from the rest of the litter. I researched how the hand feed it and bought all of the stuff. I am still afraid move it though, please help!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2012, 05:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paschall2005 View Post
    We rescued an adult flop bunny a couple of weeks ago. To our suprise a week later she had babies. She has been a great mother to all seven but last night she seperated the runt from the rest of the litter. I researched how the hand feed it and bought all of the stuff. I am still afraid move it though, please help!!

Is she feeding or caring for it? Rabbits do abandon and/or kill the babies she cannot or will not care for.

If you researched you know that already.

Our rabbit person - Alty - is not around right now. She'll know. In the meantime, I'd keep close watch because I only know what I've read.
    paschall2005 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2012, 05:41 AM
    She is not caring for it at all since yesterday. I just checked on the momma and she hopped over to the nest of babies and turned her back to the one she separated. I just made it a bed in a shoe box with a heating pad and nesting wool. I think I am going to bring it in and feed it the bunny mixture I read about. I would rather try something than do nothing and let it die. I would feel so bad it I did nothing. I'm so irritated 1st that the pet stor sold my daughter a pregnant bunny and second that the previous owners didn't bother to have it spayed. Thank you so much for responding. I will welcome any help I can get.
    UK Apple Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2012, 02:48 AM
    It would be best to provide another , separate cage for the little one, and be with it as much as you can. Hand-feed it like you've researched, but also provide a hot water bottle (that it can move away from if it begins to over-heat) and a heat lamp (make sure it can move away from this too). If your worried about separating it. Maybe just ove it for the day, put it back for the night then remove it completely? Try leaving the little one near the others, in the same room as when it has fully matured, it is likely that the mother will accept it back, though don't re-introduce until it has fully matured. Hope this helps a little.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it bad that my pit pulls the runt of the litter away from the rest? [ 7 Answers ]

My pit just had pups 2 weeks ago. She keeps picking the runt of the litter out and separating her from the rest. This morning when I was getting the kids up for school I noticed the runt was gone. We found her underneath my boys bed. The dog play pen is in the kitchen. I no there is no way the runt...

Will my runt of the litter kitten get bigger? [ 3 Answers ]

My cat is 2 years old, and she still look's like a kitten. My husband says she is the runt of the litter and there is nothing wrong with her, but why won't she get any bigger?

Litter runt [ 5 Answers ]

I am a new breeder & would like some experienced input. My female boxer just whelped her first litter. She had 8 total. The first born is the runt of litter. The runt is a female & is doing well. If I choose to keep this runt; Will she be of good breeding stock at age 2 years ? I also have heard...

I have a runt in the litter mum is taking it out [ 10 Answers ]

I have a runt in the litter it eyes opend to day, when we can back from from having are christmas dinner the mum dog keep dringing the runt out of the pack and putting him in the living room on the sofa and then in the kitchen she stays with it for a short while then leaves it I keep putting it...

How can I tell if the runt of my dogs litter is in trouble [ 5 Answers ]

We have never experienced whelping with our rott weiler. She had a runt that weighs half that of the other pups and is not moving as well. Is that kind of thing normal? And what kinds of things do I need to be aware of for the runt of the litter? Thanks!:cool:

View more questions Search