Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2012, 04:18 PM
    Grief
    My friend was separated from her husband, but still married, when he was fatally injured in an automobile collision. She is having a hard time with his accidental death and wonders if she could have done something different in her relationship that would have prevented his death. Thank you
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2012, 04:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950 View Post
    My friend was separated from her husband, but still married, when he was fatally injured in an automobile collision. She is having a hard time with his accidental death and wonders if she could have done something different in her relationship that would have prevented his death. Thank you

There's no way to know, without knowing the circumstances, if she could have prevented his death.

When a loved one dies that's always an open question.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 8, 2012, 04:36 PM
    This is a question that is often answered with a pat answer, no. I think it deserves more than that. When we lose someone we ALL wonder what if, what if, what could I have done? The answer starts with ancient myths of Fate, starting with Oedipus, the king who did everything he could to avoid the prophesy that he would kill his father and marry his mother. A simple daily question might be what if I hadn't let him use my car, or if I had had it fixed, or if I hadn't talked too long and he might have left sooner and not been hit? The answer is that there might have been an even more horrible event, totally different. You step off the curb and are hit by a truck, or you work late and there is a gas explosion.

Now what about her guilt over the separation? If she left him, let her explore that, don't try to sweep it under the rug of 'it's not your fault.' It isn't her fault, but she needs to let it out while someone just listens. And when it's really all out, then they can say 'He died because he was in a collision. He might have been distracted by a bee or a song on the radio or a pretty woman walking by, or he might have been driving with complete attention and yet was blindsided by Chance. Take it from there - how life is a series of infinite turns that could have happened, each either fortunate or not.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 8, 2012, 04:40 PM
    Also, help her celebrate his life and their time together. Write down good memories and things about him that were funny and heartwarming. Plant a memory tree or bush.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2012, 06:21 AM
    - and I will add: listen to her. If she says the same thing 1,000 times, listen to her.

She needs to get out the pain, the grief, her concerns.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dealing with grief, six years later [ 7 Answers ]

So once every few months/years, depending on what is going on in my life at the time, many of my old grief issues come back. (about 6 years ago my boyfriend died). I feel I have already dealt with many of the issues, but I get very sad sometimes, especially when I am single or go on a date that...

Grief and meaning of life [ 7 Answers ]

Since my sister in law passed away(August 15) I have been questioning and full of guilt. I feel guilty because we could not afford to fly home until the funeral and were not in the hospital with her before she passed. My brain tells me we could not do it financially but I still feel bad that I...

Grief of losing my dog [ 10 Answers ]

:( I recently lost my dog. He was 9 years old, he was a wonderful dog. I rescued from an animal shelter. I am not sure what he died of. Only that he will be greatly missed. To top it all off he passed away on 9/11/08, not a good day. My question is how do I deal with the grieving? I also...

Memory block from grief? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My father passed away on New Years Day after battling ALS for almost 3 years. In that time, my mother and I took care of him at home. Despite watching him suffer through the disease, and knowing he is better off wherever he is now, I miss him dearly. Now that a little bit of time has passed...

Drowning in Grief [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'll try to make this short... My grandmother raised me and we have always had a very special bond.I always knew I would take her death hard and even went so far as to tell her that when she died she would have to somehow come to me and let me know she was around.Well two weeks after we...

View more questions Search