Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BeeBeeB Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2012, 02:47 PM
    My wife is selling property in Russia, and will be paid in cash in US Dollars.
    How can she then wire this money to our US bank account WITHOUT getting screwed by potential conversion requirements out of various percentages? (example: the bank might say that we only accept Ruble deposits, and thus charge a conversion fee to convert to Rubles. Then, once deposited, might take ANOTHER fee to convert back to Dollars for our US bank - on top of the wire fee.)

The $500,000 capital gains exclusion for married couples selling a primary residence applies here (we do not own, and never have owned any property in the US); we are not worried about owing the IRS anything because of this exclusion. It is mainly the potential for so many toll booths taking a percentage-based slice of the proceeds as it makes its way back to the US.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2012, 03:10 PM
    Just so you know... not owning property in the USA doesn't automatically make that Russian property a primary residence.

It has to meet other legal requirements.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 9, 2012, 09:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Just so you know....not owning property in the USA doesn't automatically make that Russian property a primary residence.

It has to meet other legal requirements.
    Correct - to qualify for the exclusion you must have lived in the home as your main residence for at least two of the previous five years.

Aug 9, 2012, 11:21 AM
    After discussing with IRS, there should be no tax burden based on current law, based on our current income and the fact that we'll be paying taxes to Russia on the sale.

That's the least of my worries. The real problem is that cash is like a stateless person - banks are immediately suspicious of large amounts of cash and there are demands for documentation and justifications. This is my main issue - getting the money into a context from which it can be wired, without having to pay all sorts of fees and tolls for the privilege of making it transferable. All of this apparatus assumes you are guilty of something like money laundering or who knows what...
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2012, 12:14 PM
    And that is the case for very good reason... because that's exactly how the people who WERE doing something wrong were moving around lots of money. Its not a huge burden to deal with unless its frequent and /or you have anything to hide.

Be aware there are risks and costs involved no matter what way you choose. And the lest expensive have the highest risk were it could go bye-bye never to be seen again. Like carrying it yourself. You get robbed and its gone...

Those fees for nice safe and traceible bank transfers suddenly don't seem so bad then.

You can prove the source of the funds... so why worry.

Aug 13, 2012, 01:27 PM
    Actually, I have learned a little more; the earlier questions I asked are now less relevant. Our pressing issue now is in simply getting the cash into a wireable state. A banker is buying her property. I don't yet know if the transaction will take place through HIS own bank, but I hope NOT, because that would allow for more potential thievery.

She is being told that an arrangement will be made so that these funds will be wireable to the US.

So now the worry is: how to keep her from being robbed (or worse) and how to make sure that the transfer is legitimate. This buyer is definitely a high roller and he is undoubtedly going to pursue other land parcels adjacent to ours in order to make a super-parcel for himself (he already has one to expand from). Such guys know how to play dirty, especially considering it is Russia.

Is this a question for the US Consulate? Can they possibly help in such circumstances?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2012, 06:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeBeeB View Post
    This is my main issue - getting the money into a context from which it can be wired
    Hello B:

Why don't you put the burden on the purchaser and REQUIRE than your wife be paid by CHECK?

excon

Sep 12, 2012, 07:18 AM
    There is NO checking system in Russia. Real estate purchases are made in cash, usually in rubles.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2012, 07:23 AM
    There is NO checking system in Russia. Real estate purchases are made in cash, usually in rubles.
    Hello again, B:

I ain't buying it.

excon

Sep 12, 2012, 09:58 AM
    What, the assertion, or the property?

Doesn't matter anyway, already sold and no further issues.
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2012, 12:47 PM
    What, the assertion, or the property?

Doesn't matter anyway, already sold and no further issues.
    Click the purple AIN'T word in excon's post (its a link) and it takes you to banking information that disproves what you have claimed. You could even keep it all within one banks various branches.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 12, 2012, 05:58 PM
    Agree, first why do you need to transfer all of it.

I have an account in a major US bank, guess what they are "connected" to a major bank here in Russia, I can transfer money anytime with no fees what so ever.

Also I can just go to the ATM here and draw out my US funds anytime I want.

So first why do you want to transfer the money ? Have you checked some of the larger banks.

Next conversion rates at banks are not set to cheat anyone, they are the best around. I use one major bank here in China and they give posted rates. It is when you deal with some of the transfer companies that they get you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US taxes on selling apartment in Moscow, Russia, that I owned for 15 years? [ 5 Answers ]

Apartment was given to me by my ex, in exchange of me forfeiting other claims, out of court, more than 15 years ago. Since then I moved to US, and have become U.S citizen. It was not rented - extended family member was using this place. Now it is not needed, and I'm selling it. What should I expect...

Russian/US citizen selling a property in Russia tax implications [ 6 Answers ]

I am a US citizen of russian origin. I am selling my ancestral house in russia for about $350,000. Due to Perestroika we all got properties from communists into ownership for free. There is no way to calculate capital gain. Can I claim that this is my primary home? I have lived in the States for...

I inherited some property in a foreign country (Russia). I have plans to sell it there [ 4 Answers ]

The property I inherited is real estate. I want to sell it in 2010-2011 and wire the money to USA. I really don't know what documents I need to keep and present in the USA for taxes.

Iran stops selling oil in you.S. Dollars [ 6 Answers ]

I really hate to say I told you so but I did. The Dollar is not worth 3 cents. The fed is propping up the economy and what do you think is next? TEHRAN (Reuters) - Iran has completely stopped selling any of its oil for U.S. dollars, an Iranian news agency reported on Saturday, citing the oil...

View more questions Search