Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angelar1983 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2007, 09:59 PM
    Custody of ny niece and nephew
    My younger sister asked me to help her out for a week or two by taking her son(2yrs) and her daughter(7mo.), its has been a little over a month but it seems as if my sister does not want to take responsibility of her children, which is not a problem for me because I would love to have them with me, but in order to be able to care for them as may be needed I was wondering if it is possible to get custody or even adopt my niece and nephew. Or is it necessary to get approval from my sister who is no longer answering my phone calls?
    nya Posts: 55, Reputation: 8

Jun 24, 2007, 01:07 PM
    These are your options if you were here in FL:

You can file a petition in family court for custody of your niece and nephew. It costs $256.00 to do this yourself without an attorney. You must be related to the child for this option. Your sister can respond to your petiton, once you are given a court date to either deny your petiton or allow you to get custody.

Your other option would be to contact you local Social Services office and report your sister as having neglected her children which is what she has done. They will come out and investigate by speaking to you and then speaking with your sister. Then they will make the decision as to the best placement for the children. If in the long run they feel the children should be adopted they will let you know. Or they can decide becz of the circumstances, that the children should remain in a long term custody placement with you and have supervised visitation with your sister. I hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need to know how to get custody of my nephew from an unfit aunt? [ 3 Answers ]

My brother had a son by a lady, that died 4years ago, her sister has guardenship, because the mother had the baby in prison( brother didn't know about the baby then). The mother got out jail got herself together, and the kid moved back in with the mother. Mother never got guardenship back from...

The unfit mother is trying to get custody of my unborn nephew! [ 5 Answers ]

So, I'm the aunt of the unborn child, he is to be due sometime in June 2007. The mother is unfit, I think she drinks, she hangs around people who smoke and party around her. She sleeps around and doesn't care of herself how she should. She is unwedd to my brother who I do believe is the father, how...

Visitation rights to my niece [ 3 Answers ]

My sister is in jail. My dad is trying to get custody of her daughter, my niece. I do not have a problem with that, but I want to be sure that I get to see her. Can I get visitation rights to her without having to fight for custody, if so , HOW? I would really like to do this without a lawyer, if...

Custody of my nephew [ 2 Answers ]

I am wanting to have guardianship of my nephew who is being negleted. How do I go about it legally? What are some of my obstacles? Please give me some help.

I want custody of my niece! [ 3 Answers ]

I need custody of my niece she is being neglected by her mother. Her mother is supporting her boyfriend that has no job and no car that is living off her and abusing both of them physcially. I need help getting her outa that household.

View more questions Search