Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mrs v Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2012, 06:42 PM
    Mrs wife being sued for child support by ex-wife of my deceased husband
    Am I legally responsible for my late husbands child support? The ex-wife and custodial parent is now collecting social security for the minor children. There is no estate equity, only personal belongings. There was no life insurance in place, only a retirement policy, which she was awarded half of with the divorce decree.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 7, 2012, 06:53 PM
    His estate can be liable ( not you personally) if there was a house, bank accounts, cars and so on, depending on how it was handled these may ( or may not) be subject to the estate.

So yes they have a right to sue the estate and/or have the court view how the assets were handled at his death.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 8, 2012, 02:43 AM
    Was he behind in child support? They can not collect future support against the estate only arrears. His child support ended upon his passing.

Aug 8, 2012, 04:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Was he behind in child support? They can not collect future support against the estate only arrears. His child support ended upon his passing.
    Yes he was behind, and she is trying to collect it through me
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 8, 2012, 04:30 AM
    My guess still is, that they believe there is money in an estate, or property and either know or believe the estate was not handled properly. But they have a legal right to sue and have the estate examined to see if state laws were followed at the time of death in the transfer of his property to you.

Aug 8, 2012, 04:33 AM
    There are NO assets, house or otherwise. She has filed a civil suit against me, wanting to collect for debt she and my husband accrued during their marriage, prior to our marriage.

So yes they have a right to sue the estate and/or have the court view how the assets were handled at his death.[/QUOTE]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a court make the wife, help her husband pay child support? [ 12 Answers ]

Can a court make the wife, help her husband pay child support, if he is not making enough money required by system? Please help!!

Disabled husband-wife working-taxes and child support [ 1 Answers ]

My husband has filed for disability-i am only one working-he was never behind on his payments till he became ill -i pay all the bills-why is it that I only get half of my return on my taxes-we need all the money we can get for all our medical bills and to survive- have filed a disabled spouse- but...

Wife being sued by landlord after husband moved out [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I went into a contract to Lease to Own a house. During the time we lived there we got behind on the payments for the deposit and he moved out. Now the landlord has taken me to small claims to recover the money and now garnishing my wages. Is there anything I can do to have my ex...

View more questions Search