Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    solidzane Posts: 111, Reputation: 8

Aug 7, 2012, 08:03 AM
    Title ideas... A story of loss...
    Okay. I'm getting ready to publish my second ebook short story and I'm lost for a title... The book is written, being edited but sits as "Untitled"

The story is from the POV of a 17 year old boy. It starts with a flashback memory of him losing a track race (running). Present day, he is starting a weekend before going to the same school to run where he lost before. He gains a new friend before the race, but learns that his girlfriend is moving across the country. In the end, he loses the "rematch race" as well...

One of my editors suggested that the title have something to do with "Loss"... but she didn't give me any actual suggestions... I'm still brainstorming myself, but I was wondering if any of you had any ideas...

Thanks. :)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 7, 2012, 08:28 AM
    Does the book have a sad ending? Is it a children's book? YA? What is the moral of the story?

Aug 7, 2012, 08:47 AM
    The moral would be that there are more important things in life, than winning... It's geared towards Young Adults... Growing up... The series is following the main character through his last 2 years of high school, then eventually beyond.

The ending isn't too sad, as he loses the race on purpose... It leaves the reader with a good thought about the character... Also leaves off wanting more... I think so at least... I'll satisfy that want with the next book in the series...

On an unrelated note... I had left this page/question open in a tab on my browser... When I refreshed the page I got a message saying it was removed... Is this a common error? I obviously found the post in the "My Questions" panel... But I was confused for a minute...
    Kahani Punjab Posts: 510, Reputation: 203

Aug 7, 2012, 08:53 AM
    Solid Zane,

It is really so nice of you for sharing the book essence with us. I look forward to see your book getting e-published and read it. Do not forget to let me read your work.

About title, it can be -
    1. A Journey to Nowhere.
    2. The Loss of Track, Again!

About your error - You ought to ask the questions, in the ASK and your question must be in the proper column, and if it is not, it is either removed or shifted to where it should be, ideally. That is what my reply on the basis of what I could make out (understand) of your query, in the end of the 2nd question, but I might be wrong, factually as well, as I am not so good in English, being a non-native speaker of English.

Aug 7, 2012, 09:18 AM
    Okay. These are some possible titles I've run my my editor...

"Purposeful Loss"
    "Bent on Loss"
    "Steady Loss"
    "On the Track of Loss"
    "All about Winning"
    "Losing is Winning"

Any ideas? Like one of these? I liked #2 from Kahani... Just still trying to find the best title possible...
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 7, 2012, 09:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by solidzane
    On an unrelated note... I had left this page/question open in a tab on my browser... When I refreshed the page I got a message saying it was removed... Is this a common error? I obviously found the post in the "My Questions" panel... But I was confused for a minute.
    That was my fault, You had put this in Reading & Literature (established works), which is not the correct category, so I moved it to Writing (works in progress).

You want the title to be provocative (am still thinking), especially as an e-book, so people will want to at least check it out and hopefully buy it. It's a marketing ploy.

Did the main character throw the race to benefit someone else?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 7, 2012, 09:30 AM
    Here's a title tester --

Lulu Titlescorer

For the background on titles --

Lulu.com Study of Bestselling Book Titles

Aug 7, 2012, 09:38 AM
    He doesn't throw the race to benefit anyone really... The person he is racing may or may not benefit as a consequence though... Main Character was winning, then has a revelation and walks off the track, letting the other guy win...
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 7, 2012, 09:41 AM
    Can you tell us the revelation, even in general terms? I'm thinking it makes him a better person?

Aug 7, 2012, 09:42 AM
    He realizes that spending time with someone he loves, is more important than winning a race based on a grudge...
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 7, 2012, 09:44 AM
    What's his first name?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 7, 2012, 09:57 AM
    How about these titles? I used "Joe" as the main character's name --

And Joe Thought He Was a Loser
    Why Does J-o-e Spell Loser?

(am still thinking)

Aug 7, 2012, 10:10 AM
    Oops... Didn't realized there was a second page... XD... His name is Jason... I'm thinking that I'll probably go with the "On the Track of Loss" one... Not entirely sure yet... Thanks for all the help so far... :)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 7, 2012, 10:11 AM
    Okay. I'll stop thinking. :)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2012, 06:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Okay. I'll stop thinking. :)

"On the track for love"

"On the track of love"

Hey! It's late and I'm tired. Everyone stop snickering.

Aug 8, 2012, 09:53 PM
    Late it is... but thanks for the ideas anyway. I already published...

Here is the link to the story. It is part 2 of a series. There is a link to part one on the left side of that page. They are both free. Though the new one (part 2) will be $0.99 on September 8th... Any feedback/reviews are much appreciated, even the negative ones. :)
    Tatla Posts: 55, Reputation: 5

Aug 11, 2012, 02:09 AM
    You have given the link HERE, but when we open it we get three lines of abstract not whole book. I want to read you book.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2012, 05:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatla View Post
    You have given the link HERE, but when we open it we get three lines of abstract not whole book. I want to read you book.

Then you have to pay: "Though the new one (part 2) will be $0.99 on September 8th..."

Aug 11, 2012, 09:39 PM
    It's weird... I can't replicate the problem with the link... Best solution is to go to http://www .smashwords .com (Remove the spaces between www and .com then use their search bar for either my book title On the Track of Loss or for my name, Christopher Estrada... That should pull up the books...

Both are free right now. No need to pay, no need to sign up for smashwords.
    mynameiskathy Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2012, 02:09 PM
    Running at a Loss?
    Racing as a Loser?
    Anything would be possible. The title doesn't have to be very elaborate

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I need story ideas [ 3 Answers ]

;)

Fiction short story ideas [ 1 Answers ]

What are some cool ideas that you think would make great fiction short-stories? Like things that would be interesting in a plot, for example?:confused: any help or ideas would be appreciated!

Short Story Writing Ideas [ 1 Answers ]

I need help coming up with 4 topics for short stories that I have to write for English. Im good at the writing part... but not good at the coming up with topics part. Can anyone help me?:confused:

View more questions Search