Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 6, 2012, 06:09 AM
    Air Conditioning Problem
    I have a 2005 Ford 500 that has the dual control A/C. Driver's side blows cool, not cold, but passenger side is blowing HOT.

Can you give me some ideas as to what I need to do to get this working properly again?

Thanks!
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2012, 06:20 AM
    J_9, you have a blend door actuator problem. Run the diagnostic test below.

Electronic Air Temperature Control (EATC) On-Board Diagnostic Test

NOTE: Intermittent (run time) trouble codes will be deleted after 80 ignition cycles.

The Remote Climate Control (RCC) module is capable of displaying both self-test faults and intermittent (run time) faults on the Integrated Control Panel (ICP). To obtain these codes, perform the following EATC on-board diagnostics test:

. On-board diagnostics should be run in ambient temperatures between 50 and 90 degrees F. Record all Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) displayed during diagnostic test mode.

. Turn ignition switch to RUN position.

. Push both OFF and FLOOR buttons simultaneously; then, press AUTO within two seconds.

. The test may run as long as 30 seconds, while the display will show a dashed line in the center of the display window.

. After about 20 seconds, a DTC will appear in the display. The self-test is completed when 888 appears in the center of the climate control display window of the ICP.

. To exit the self-test and retain all intermittent DTCs, press the "-" (cooler) side of the TEMP button. The RCC module will exit the self-test and retain all intermittent DTCs.

. Always exit the self-test, before powering the system down (system turned off).

. Refer to a DTC Index for additional help. Here are several common self-test faults:

024--A/C Electronic Blend Door Actuator Failure
    030--In-Car Temperature Sensor Short
    031--In-Car Temperature Sensor Open
    040--Ambient Temperature Sensor Short
    041--Ambient Temperature Sensor Open
    050--Sunload Sensor Short

. Some heating and air conditioning control problems are solved just by running the self-test.
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2012, 06:30 AM
    Let's say you run the diagnostic test and you get a DTC 025, which is not a hard fault. It says there is nothing wrong now, but there was some error in the past. Instead of exiting and saving the code, clear all codes. This often recalibrates the blend door actuator and solves the problem.
    Expert

Aug 6, 2012, 06:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post
    Electronic Air Temperature Control (EATC) On-Board Diagnostic Test

NOTE: Intermittent (run time) trouble codes will be deleted after 80 ignition cycles.

The Remote Climate Control (RCC) module is capable of displaying both self-test faults and intermittent (run time) faults on the Integrated Control Panel (ICP). To obtain these codes, perform the following EATC on-board diagnostics test:

. On-board diagnostics should be run in ambient temperatures between 50 and 90 degrees F. Record all Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) displayed during diagnostic test mode.

. Push both OFF and FLOOR buttons simultaneously; then, press AUTO within two seconds.

. The test may run as long as 30 seconds, while the display will show a dashed line in the center of the display window.

. After about 20 seconds, a DTC will appear in the display. The self-test is completed when 888 appears in the center of the climate control display window of the ICP.

. To exit the self-test and retain all intermittent DTCs, press the "-" (cooler) side of the TEMP button. The RCC module will exit the self-test and retain all intermittent DTCs.

. Always exit the self-test, before powering the system down (system turned off).

. Refer to a DTC Index for additional help. Here are several common self-test faults:

024--A/C Electronic Blend Door Actuator Failure
    030--In-Car Temperature Sensor Short
    031--In-Car Temperature Sensor Open
    040--Ambient Temperature Sensor Short
    041--Ambient Temperature Sensor Open
    050--Sunload Sensor Short

. Some heating and air conditioning control problems are solved just by running the self-test.
    Thanks, but can you repeat that in Cars for Dummies? That totally confused me.
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2012, 06:44 AM
    Try this and then you may better understand how "cool" and simple the fix may be:

. Record any codes.
    Expert

Aug 6, 2012, 06:51 AM

Where do I find those buttons?

I'm a woman. I know how to put gas in the car and turn it on. **embarrassed**
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2012, 06:54 AM
    On the air conditioner's control panel in the center of the car.
    Expert

Aug 6, 2012, 06:54 AM
    On the air conditioner's control panel in the center of the car.
    Oops... I should have figured that out.

Now, I don't want the car actually running right?
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2012, 06:56 AM
    Correct.
    Expert

Aug 6, 2012, 07:01 AM
    Nothing happened.
    Expert

Aug 6, 2012, 07:06 AM
    I was going to try to surprise my husband by fixing it myself, but I'll wait until he gets home from golfing and show this to him as I worked a long hard shift delivering babies last night and it's bedtime for me. Hopefully it's something that we can fix ourselves.
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2012, 07:09 AM
    Do you have all of the buttons I mentioned?
    Expert

Aug 6, 2012, 07:11 AM
    Yes, I do.
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2012, 07:26 AM
    The basic problem is that the blend door actuator controls a door that regulates the flow to each side of the car. Obviously, it's set in the wrong position. Usually, running the diagnostics and then turning the system off (not saving the codes) recalibrates things and you are "good to go." I don't feel it will require replacing the Blend Door Actuator. It's always possible Ford changed the diagnostic steps slightly on your model. Anyhow, that's my diagnosis of your problem. If you take it to the dealer, they should be able to solve the problem in several minutes.
    Expert

Aug 6, 2012, 07:28 AM
    The flow is fine. There is plenty of air coming out of each side, it's just that one side is cool (not cold) and the other side is hot.
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2012, 07:35 AM
    Yes, it's a classic blend door problem.
    Expert

Aug 6, 2012, 07:36 AM
    So, most likely it is fixable without spending hundreds of dollars?
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2012, 07:43 AM
    If you can find out the precise EATC diagnostic steps for your year, make, and model, you can likely solve it yourself in no time. If they tell you the actuator needs replacing, that's where the money starts to change hands. They are located deep under the dash and the clock starts to tick.
    Expert

Aug 6, 2012, 07:45 AM
    I'll get my husband to check this out when he gets home and fill you in on how it works out. Thank you so much for your help so far!
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2012, 07:47 AM
    Great.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air Conditioning Problem [ 0 Answers ]

My ac fan in the outside unit turns on but then afrer 20 min if cuts completely off but the compressor still on I just replace the motor 2 days ago and the capicitor what xan it be

Air conditioning condensing unit problem [ 6 Answers ]

I have a trane condensing unit.. It runs but there is no cold air into house Anyone know what might be wrong?

How to solve air conditioning problem? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I've got a problem with a new air conditioning split/window system I've just bought in France. It was a 'rapid connection' type (Zenith AF-SIPAP-35). The internal/wall unit comes on and responds to the remote control commands. However, the external unit is just humming. The fan doesn't...

Central air conditioning problem [ 2 Answers ]

My central air conditioning unit seems to work well with normal air flow. On several occasions at night the inside coil has frozen allowing little air to pass. I have reset the thermostat to a higher setting allowing the coil to thaw and air flow returns to normal. The daytime temps have been in...

Air conditioning and heating problem [ 7 Answers ]

My air conditioner keeps freezing up and usually all it needs is more freon. Now my heating won't shut off the thermostat seems to be stuck on 75* even though I have it on 70* or I think it is clicking when I pull it by 75* when I tried to get it to shut off. Is my thermostat gone bad or is it...

View more questions Search