Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 6, 2012, 07:49 AM
    So far we've been told that the AC needs to be "charged" or that it needs to be replaced, but no one has suggested running diagnostics!
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2012, 07:56 AM
    Most people are not familiar with EATC, which is very slick.

Keep in mind that compressors need to be replaced about every 100,000 miles--they do wear out. Also, never let anyone add freon who doesn't have a manifold gauge set. Stay away from anyone with a can of freon that comes with a gauge on it. It's best to recover the freon, evacuate the system (vacuum) for 30 minutes, and then refill with the specified amount of freon to the low pressure side of the system.
    Expert

Aug 6, 2012, 07:58 AM
    You are totally AWeSOME! I can't wait to show this to him. Hopefully I'll be driving in the Tennessee heat nice and cool soon!
    Expert

Sep 5, 2012, 07:12 AM
    Apparently the car needs a new compressor to the tune of about $1,000 and I can't afford that. However, while the mechanic was "checking it out" he filled with freon and said there was a leak. This was the 17th of August and the car is still blowing cold. Is this common?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2012, 07:46 AM
    On average, compressors last 100,000 miles. If you install a new compressor, empty the PAG oil that comes with it and refill with BG Universal Frigi-Quiet Refrigerant Oil (Part No. 7018). It's a superior product that will help your compressor last longer and perform better.

P.S. The majority of leaks in A/C systems are from the Shrader Valves in the low pressure or high pressure ports. Mechanics damage the valves by not attaching their manifold gauge set properly. Very easy to replace. These are often slow leaks because of the caps on top.

You should be able to buy a new Motorcraft compressor for around $370, BG Universal Frigi-Quiet Refrigerant Oil for $30, and $250 to recover, repair, evacuate, and refill the system.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air Conditioning Problem [ 0 Answers ]

My ac fan in the outside unit turns on but then afrer 20 min if cuts completely off but the compressor still on I just replace the motor 2 days ago and the capicitor what xan it be

Air conditioning condensing unit problem [ 6 Answers ]

I have a trane condensing unit.. It runs but there is no cold air into house Anyone know what might be wrong?

How to solve air conditioning problem? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I've got a problem with a new air conditioning split/window system I've just bought in France. It was a 'rapid connection' type (Zenith AF-SIPAP-35). The internal/wall unit comes on and responds to the remote control commands. However, the external unit is just humming. The fan doesn't...

Central air conditioning problem [ 2 Answers ]

My central air conditioning unit seems to work well with normal air flow. On several occasions at night the inside coil has frozen allowing little air to pass. I have reset the thermostat to a higher setting allowing the coil to thaw and air flow returns to normal. The daytime temps have been in...

Air conditioning and heating problem [ 7 Answers ]

My air conditioner keeps freezing up and usually all it needs is more freon. Now my heating won't shut off the thermostat seems to be stuck on 75* even though I have it on 70* or I think it is clicking when I pull it by 75* when I tried to get it to shut off. Is my thermostat gone bad or is it...

View more questions Search