Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DRADAVID Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2012, 07:17 PM
    Do creditors have access to my parents bank accounts if I'm added?
    My parents are in their mid 80's and have added my name to their bank accounts in the event of an emergency or death I would be able to access their funds. My question is that I have my own credit issues resulting from a job loss back in 2009. I am now collecting SS disability payments so in that respect I am judgement proof. However, if my creditors chose to sue me, could they access my parent's accounts? I do not access their funds at all but this concerns me. Should I have my name removed from their accounts? I live in multnomah county, Oregon. My age is 61. Have a BA degree.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 5, 2012, 07:19 PM
    If you are listed ans an owner on the account your creditors can attach them if they get a judgment. Instead of adding you as an owner have your parents give you a Power of Attorney.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2012, 07:57 PM
    I agree with Scottgem. Eldercare attorneys in my area advise very strongly against putting a son or daughter's name on the parents bank accounts, for many reasons.
    With POA's for both parents, you are covered unless both of them should perish in a common disaster.
    If one should pass on, you would have to come up with another plan as the POA wouldn't help after both are deceased. Of course they can name you as beneficiary on their bank accounts -at least that is possible in the staes I have resided in.
    I would use the POA's and beneficiary route I believe. Just based on my own experiences.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 5, 2012, 08:00 PM
    Yes, it normally opens up their accounts if you have judgemetns against you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can credit card companies axcess any bank accounts other then their bank accounts [ 1 Answers ]

Can a credit card company excess any other banks accounts

How do creditors find your bank accounts? [ 3 Answers ]

How do the creditors find your bank accts? I just wondered because I have accounts garnished at one bank and not at another. Thanks

Creditors and bank accounts [ 8 Answers ]

I have a default judgment against me for credit card debt. I have motioned to have the default set aside because I was not served as they claimed I was. I don't have a bank account in my name but my wife has one in her name where her ssi checks are auto deposited. I have read in this forum that a...

Access to bank accounts of deceased [ 3 Answers ]

My mom recently died without a will I am the only living heir. How do I gain access to checking and savings accounts that are in her name only What do I need to just have the accounts put in my name or what is the easiest way to gain access legally to these accounts Thanks in advance for any help

View more questions Search