Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fesquiers Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2007, 05:33 PM
    Turning property back to the bank
    Due to many unforseen situations, I cannot make the payements on my house and want to know if I can turn the property over to the mortgage company? If so, how do I go about dong this?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2007, 05:59 PM
    Hello fes:

There's no correct way. Sell it if you can. They'll take it when they're ready. Until then, maybe you'll get a deal done and save your credit at least.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 5, 2007, 06:26 PM
    If you turn the property back to the bank, this is merely a foreclosure that you agree to,

Unless you work out a deal with the bank, that they will accept it as full payment ( and don't expect them to do that)
    After you give it back, they sell it, and you still owe the difference.
    So you will be worst off than now.

With that, as noted, if you can sell it first it is much better off
    Home Retention Agency Posts: 23, Reputation: 3

Mar 22, 2007, 07:49 AM
    Giving it back is one of the worst approaches you can take.

And, most lenders won't take a deed in lieu, for techno-legal reasons.

As mentioned previously, best to at least TRY to get it sold.

Click on my user name and choose Find more posts to get more info on this topic.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 22, 2007, 08:01 AM
    In addition to them selling for any price (low) they can get you will also be responsible for all costs, fees and the difference between that total and what you owe. It is a bad idea 99% of the time. Worse case, sell low yourself and avoid the fees.
    guilou0875 Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Jul 17, 2012, 02:38 PM
    Your can turn it back, your credit score will drop to 600 , it better than the foreslure and the owing more what the house is worth.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 17, 2012, 04:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by guilou0875 View Post
    Your can turn it back, your credit score will drop to 600 , it better than the foreslure and the owing more what the house is worth.
    Wrong.

But you are more than 5 years late, so OP will probably not be harmed by your incorrect advice anyway. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Creditor Asking for Property Back [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I filed bankruptcy, which was discharged 3 1/2 years ago. We received a letter in the mail from an attorney about a debt in which we purchased a 4 wheeler by credit card. The 4 - wheeler was paid in full, but we purchased accessories with the credit card and that was the amount...

Bank seizure of property [ 3 Answers ]

HI, hoping someone can help. We have signed a contract on a property with the vendor. However, the property has now been seized by the bank. We are wondering if our contract is still legally binding or do we have to start negotiating with the bank who now owns the property? This has all occurred...

Need to Deed a House back to the bank [ 5 Answers ]

I currently own 2 properties and I need to sell one of them. It is a condo in Howell MI. We have tired everything to try and sell the property from paying closing costs to increasing the commission for the agents selling or buying the property. We have run out of ideas and money and now we need to...

Deeding your home back to the bank [ 9 Answers ]

If a senior citizen is forced to deed his/her house back to the bank, will that affect the senior citizen's credit rating?

View more questions Search