Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2012, 03:24 AM
    To All DO IT YOURSELFERS - Why Electricians Wear Protection
    A short video of two very smart electricians performing energized work, wearing the proper protective gear, a helmet with face shield, fire rated and arc blast rated clothing, and even setting up the danger zone boundary with warning tape and cones.

Both I am sure are very happy they did everything perfect, to prevent injury to themselves.

Care to work on your own panel energized ?

joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 5, 2012, 04:23 AM
    WOW.
    I'm not much of a DIY electrician, although my very first visit here was to ask about the color of the wires on my new cooktop (and I did attach it myself in the existing box).
    I've heard stories about macho guys who brag about being thrown across the room on construction sites. Will any of them see this video, I wonder.
    AMPERE Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2013, 09:52 AM
    Very good video.

When I did commercial electrical wiring, one of my co-workers was wiring a 20 A circuit without turning off the power and tripped the breaker because of a short circuit that he caused and some of the fire coming from the flash gave him a burn on his chest that removed the skin.

On another occasion, one of my co-workers did not turn off the power to a commercial circuit and caused a short circuit and produced a flash fire to shower down upon him which caused a temporary lost of eye sight and a red face.

So, be safe and turn off your circuits before working on them because electricity is an unruly servant.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2013, 12:22 PM
    Keep in mind, this applies to ALL electrical equipment, not just commercial.

Residential panels typically can have from 5,000 up to 10,000 amps of available energy during a short circuit event.

This arc blast can cause severe or fatal injuries, to include third degree burns to exposed skin, destroy eyes, and melt standard clothing to skin to produce more severe burns.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do you like wear indian ethnic wear dress? [ 3 Answers ]

I belong to India and only follow latest Indian tradition fashion.

Just a heads up for you do it yourselfers [ 1 Answers ]

When working on your unit becareful. See below link Man saws arm to save his life after being trapped under basement furnace for three days

Finding and talking to electricians [ 6 Answers ]

I'm trying to locate electricians in my area (Vancouver, WA) for a few home projects and I don't know what to ask about as far as qualifications/licensing, etc. So I have two questions: 1. Are there a list of questions I should ask of any electrician to make sure he/she does quality work? 2....

View more questions Search