Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MDV34 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2012, 11:46 AM
    How to Clean Drain in a York Diamond 80
    I have a York Diamond 80 Heating/AC unit in my attic. The spill pan surrounding the unit had water in it this morning. I would like to clean the drain pipe and see what that does before I start panicking however the pipe that I believe is the drain pipe is connected directly above the unit (See Attached Photos). It does not have an opening away from the unit that will allow me to use a wet vac to clean it out. First is this the correct pipe? If so, how do I unclog the pipe when it is so close to the unit? Also, the caution sign says "Coil under pressure. Relieve pressure before opening coupling or cutting liquid line line." If I release the pressure and then open the pipe and clean it, will the pressure be restored when I retighten everything? Thanks!

Mike
    Attached Images

hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Aug 4, 2012, 11:54 AM
    DO NOT cut any copper lines!! You want to cut the 3/4 inch white plastic drain line and add a Y style fitting or a TEE fitting if a Y is not available. Then you can blow the line out with compressed air or what have you that will get the job done. (I use a small tank of Nitrogen but that is not always available to home owners)

After you clear the line you can install a small piece of pipe and place a cap on top so your future cleanings will be easier. This should have all been done during the install.
    thermalmedics Posts: 153, Reputation: 13

Aug 4, 2012, 11:59 AM
    You can also find the drain outside and hook up your shop vac there and prime it to a good suction if you want. That will work in a pinch but hvac1000 is right there should be a nice p trap and somewhere to access but the shop vac will get you done in a pinch.

Aug 4, 2012, 12:07 PM
    Thanks for your help! I agree the builder cut a lot of corners. I assume its not that hard to cut a pipe and install a Tee or Y style fitting (I'll check the internet). I assume this should be done away from the unit. When I cut the pipe I assume there will be a large flow of water from the unit which I should be ready for... the unit is in the attic. Also, before I cut the pipe I will open the valve per the caution sign. I assume it will re-pressurize after I close everything back up.

Mike

Mike

Aug 4, 2012, 12:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by thermalmedics View Post
    you can also find the drain outside and hook up your shop vac there and prime it to a good suction if you want. that will work in a pinch but hvac1000 is right there should be a nice p trap and somewhere to access but the shop vac will get you done in a pinch.
    Thanks. Unfortunately, I cannot locate the drain outside of the townhome. The pipe goes from the unit into the floor of the attic and then disappears. As you can imagine, a townhome is not huge and I searched every inch of the outside and there was no pipe to be found. I am at a loss as to where the pipe goes.

Mike
    thermalmedics Posts: 153, Reputation: 13

Aug 4, 2012, 12:51 PM
    Then in a pinch just cut the pvc a ways away from the air handler and get a 3/4 coupling and some glue ready. Vac it out to remove the obstruction and re attach with the coupler

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Diamond 80 york ac [ 2 Answers ]

Can I tell the " tonage" of my York compressor by the model # or serial #? Model # H2RA036S06A Ser# EBGH055784 . THanks

York diamond 80? [ 0 Answers ]

York diamond 80 main burner ignites & goes out 7 red flashes after

York Diamond 80 [ 1 Answers ]

I need a Control Board for my Unit model #M3UF032SA-what is the cost and where can I purchase it?

York diamond 80 [ 1 Answers ]

I have a York Diamond 80 heater. The blower won't go off unless I unplug it and I get an error code of 5 flashes. I have no manuel to see what the error code means. Can anyone help?

York Diamond 90 [ 1 Answers ]

I have a york diamond 90 and I have 4 code show what could it be

View more questions Search