Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lrccrljoplin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2012, 09:07 AM
    Central air coil
    I want to know if a new central air coil can be used with th e older r22 outside condenser. I know the old condenser can't be used with the r410 gas. But I have read indications that a new indoor coil only can operate with r22 gas, I only need to replace the coil at this time. Larry
    thermalmedics Posts: 153, Reputation: 13

Aug 4, 2012, 11:27 AM
    Yea it can.in fact many coil are good for r22 and 410a. More importantly is the metering device that is matched to the refrigerant and capacity to - meter - the refrigerant into the coil depending upon the load upon the coil.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Aug 4, 2012, 11:42 AM
    The metering device is of utmost importance as mentioned by the other poster but I would like to add that a Thermal Expansion Valve is a much better metering device than a piston style device. The reason is quite simple since a Thermal Expansion Valve is much more accurate and with a coil size mismatch it will make your system run much better and cooling will probably be better than with the old coil as long as it is professionally installed.

A R-22 coil is much smaller than a R-410A coil of the same BTU/TONNAGE size. With a Expansion Valve it will allow full usage of the new coil. Good luck with your project.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Central Air Coil Drain [ 3 Answers ]

I recently installed a new central air/furnace system in my home. The furnace and A-coil are both Lennox, with a Haier condenser unit outside. The problem I'm having is with the drain tube on the A-coil drain. When I first started the system, it drained quite a bit of condensed water during the...

Pictures of central air a coil installation [ 0 Answers ]

How to install a casesd universal a coil r22 from furnace to condenser

Converting an R22 A-Coil To a Water to Air Coil? [ 8 Answers ]

Converting an R22 A-Coil To a Water to Air Coil A friend of mine has a water to water geothermal unit for heating his home. He wants to use this same unit for cooling the house. Looking at water to air coils the prices are quite steep compared to the standard run of the mill A-Coils. We are...

Evaporator coil - central air [ 11 Answers ]

I was given a newer Carrier central air unit ("N" coil and Condenser, etc.). The problem is that I have a Lennox furnace and the "N" coil is slightly smaller than the plenum opening above the furnace. If the "N" coil was installed there would be a lot of air bypassing the coil. Do I need to get a...

Central air evaporator coil [ 2 Answers ]

Where is the evaporator in central air and how do I clean it.not low on feon just had it put in thought that was problem,but ran OK for a while and then fan stayed on in outside unit and iced HELP!! God Bless

View more questions Search